OIl Leak - top of engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happy to help. Honestly, you could probably get away with just replacing the o-rings and Teflon seals; instead of replacing the injectors. It will buy you time to save for when the injectors do go bad.

You'll need the following (just my recommended parts):

4 x LR037089
Baum tools JLR0197--injector puller
Assenmacher JLR9899--injector seal install tool

This route is about $250 worth of parts; not including the valve cover gasket and RTV

excellent. this is the kind of information im looking for.

i have convinced myself its the oil filter housing gasket, but that may simply be because it would be the easier solution. but im not narrow minded....anything is possible.

just looked up the service manual for valve cover remove/install. seems injector removal is necessary. being my mileage, this is kind of a breaking point. specialty tools (injector puller) and most likely at least $400 worth of new injectors.
I may just try tightening the valve cover bolts when i replace the oil filter housing gasket. maybe it'll make a difference. wishful thinking.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just replaced the oil filter housing gasket. This repair should take someone about 20minutes.

I couldn't find the torque specs, so I went with 9ft lbs....same as the water pump bolts. Figured this was a good spec since its the same type of metal pressed gasket. If anyone can provide the correct tour spec, that would be great.

Did it while replacing the water pump (preventative maitnance).

When I was in there I noticed the filter housing attaches lower than the valve cover gasket. There was no oil coming from the higher area of the valve cover gasket. Which reinforced the filter housing gasket was the issue.

I'll update in week or so.

EDIT: confirming 9ft Lbs was correct torque value. all torque values in post 18

20200830_080759.jpg

Last edited:

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seems my 2011 LR4 has classic land rover issues.

This time i noticed oil on the front on the engine, dripping all the way down onto the alternator, power steering rack and frame rail. this is a new leak. only shown signs of a leak since after i changed the oil about 1 month ago.

i know i did not spill a single drop and the housing is not cracked. I changed the oil with a slightly, maybe too thin of oil (0w20) for my high mileage (140k) car. i have since swapped out the oil for Valvoline 5w20 high mileage oil. i did not remove the filter when i swapped the oil, so there is no chance of spillage in the area.

maybe the too thin of oil has created a leak? maybe it will fix itself now?...doubtful.

anyway, without disassembly, the furthest i can trace it to is the top of the engine. the crevice between the passenger side valve cover and the intake manifold has minor oil residue down the length of the block, but there was a small pool of oil in the same crevice right next to/behind the oil filter housing base. is the oil filter housing gasket known to leak? i kind of hope so as its a rather simple fix.

Ive read that sometimes valve cover gaskets leak, but since the leak was concentrated directly next to the filter housing, im hoping for the easier solution. Also, the valve cover gasket was replaced by the previous owner (at land rover dealer), albeit about 80k miles ago.

any advice is welcome. thanks in advance.

In my experience, never change the oil you are using. I have had this happen to me with my Porsche too. Same oil forever. Went to a new shop and they used a different brand/viscosity. Couple days later, leaking away. Had several friend with the same scenario. Coincidence? Maybe but I doubt it. My Porsche had 85k miles with nary a drip.

As it was explained to me, some oils have different ingredients for seal conditioners, etc and this could cause an issue. So, not sure what the answer is here, but maybe switch back to what you were using.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience, never change the oil you are using. I have had this happen to me with my Porsche too. Same oil forever. Went to a new shop and they used a different brand/viscosity. Couple days later, leaking away. Had several friend with the same scenario. Coincidence? Maybe but I doubt it. My Porsche had 85k miles with nary a drip.

As it was explained to me, some oils have different ingredients for seal conditioners, etc and this could cause an issue. So, not sure what the answer is here, but maybe switch back to what you were using.

I don't believe you. It was leaking somewhere....:):)

See my sigline.

Edward2595

Reaction score
Read through this and it has the specs for the oil housing bolt torque specs.

Attachments

• 303-01B- Engine - V6 S:C 3.0L Petrol (G1513720) SPECIFICATIONS .pdf
    91.1 KB · Views: 220

Rex Rekstad

Reaction score
seems my 2011 LR4 has classic land rover issues.

This time i noticed oil on the front on the engine, dripping all the way down onto the alternator, power steering rack and frame rail. this is a new leak. only shown signs of a leak since after i changed the oil about 1 month ago.

i know i did not spill a single drop and the housing is not cracked. I changed the oil with a slightly, maybe too thin of oil (0w20) for my high mileage (140k) car. i have since swapped out the oil for Valvoline 5w20 high mileage oil. i did not remove the filter when i swapped the oil, so there is no chance of spillage in the area.

maybe the too thin of oil has created a leak? maybe it will fix itself now?...doubtful.

anyway, without disassembly, the furthest i can trace it to is the top of the engine. the crevice between the passenger side valve cover and the intake manifold has minor oil residue down the length of the block, but there was a small pool of oil in the same crevice right next to/behind the oil filter housing base. is the oil filter housing gasket known to leak? i kind of hope so as its a rather simple fix.

Ive read that sometimes valve cover gaskets leak, but since the leak was concentrated directly next to the filter housing, im hoping for the easier solution. Also, the valve cover gasket was replaced by the previous owner (at land rover dealer), albeit about 80k miles ago.

any advice is welcome. thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72