LR4 Halogen Bulb Upgrading - Highly Recommended

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope you get some sunshine! I'm planning to wash mine on Saturday or Sunday. Last time I washed my LR4, I surprised my neighbor and washed her mini afterward, wow, that thing is tiny!!! So easy to was compared to the LR4.

Though, I have a pretty good system down for washing it, though the rims can be a pain in the butt!

Have a good day!

I washed my LR4 on Saturday and it's a chore indeed. So much metal. The roof is particularly fun - not. ;-) Rims are difficult but I have a BMW rim cleaning kit I use and it's perfect... has about three brush tools that get into those spots very easily. And now that my brakes are well broken in, I get much less brake dust which is great. The first few thousand miles it was a weekly chore. :hello:

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I washed my LR4 on Saturday and it's a chore indeed. So much metal. The roof is particularly fun - not. ;-) Rims are difficult but I have a BMW rim cleaning kit I use and it's perfect... has about three brush tools that get into those spots very easily. And now that my brakes are well broken in, I get much less brake dust which is great. The first few thousand miles it was a weekly chore. :hello:

Count,
I find the rims to be the most challenging and pain in A-- part of washing th LR4. Which BMW kit do you use?. I will get anything that will make doing the rims easier!
Thanks Count. Your advice is always very useful.
George

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, definitely let us know the kit you use! I just bought a nice rim kit with lots of brushes, etc. and I am hoping it works out for me. I find washing the rims to be really tough and find myself sticking my fingers in there to get the dust off. I don't do a lot of driving overall (usually only five or so miles a week if I take the train everyday) and about 25-50 on the weekend and it's mostly highway... So I don't get a lot of brake dust. But, I see it build up and it's a pain in the butt to clean.

Do you use a wheel pre-cleaner spray? I usually wet the rims, spray them, then finish washing the car then use my sponge to do the rims. They come out great in the end, but takes me like 10+ minutes per wheel. I am hoping these brushes work well!

Good luck!

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Count,
I find the rims to be the most challenging and pain in A-- part of washing th LR4. Which BMW kit do you use?. I will get anything that will make doing the rims easier!
Thanks Count. Your advice is always very useful.
George

You can pick up the kit at any BMW dealership, just ask the parts department. I think it was around $45 bucks, not crazy expensive - But man, what a great kit to have. There might be other kits out there as well, but this one is made quite well - German I suppose.

It comes with one small wire/brush that can get into very small holes etc., one larger wire brush that's shaped like a banana, it is perfect for getting in between the spokes and also inside the rim itself (including brake caliper) and one small round hair/brush for getting inside the lugs. And some other stuff too. It's a great kit, I couldn't live without it.

Last edited:

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, definitely let us know the kit you use! I just bought a nice rim kit with lots of brushes, etc. and I am hoping it works out for me. I find washing the rims to be really tough and find myself sticking my fingers in there to get the dust off. I don't do a lot of driving overall (usually only five or so miles a week if I take the train everyday) and about 25-50 on the weekend and it's mostly highway... So I don't get a lot of brake dust. But, I see it build up and it's a pain in the butt to clean.

Do you use a wheel pre-cleaner spray? I usually wet the rims, spray them, then finish washing the car then use my sponge to do the rims. They come out great in the end, but takes me like 10+ minutes per wheel. I am hoping these brushes work well!

Good luck!

Hey, David... I just use dish soap and avoid the chems in general. After a good soak it's pretty easy to get the grim off, it's just terribly labourous.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't mind the roof, I find it one of the easier things to clean. I did purchase one of those folding platforms to stand on. It really helps me reach most of the roof with only moving it a couple of times. I also used RainX on the roof glass, so it's really easy to clean up.

The wheels are a major pain. I have my brakes well worn in too, but my dust is still rediculous. I wash my LR4 a couple of times a week. I have a floor drain, and hot/cold water in my garage, so I can wash it at home even during the winter.

Rob

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't mind the roof, I find it one of the easier things to clean. I did purchase one of those folding platforms to stand on. It really helps me reach most of the roof with only moving it a couple of times. I also used RainX on the roof glass, so it's really easy to clean up.

The wheels are a major pain. I have my brakes well worn in too, but my dust is still rediculous. I wash my LR4 a couple of times a week. I have a floor drain, and hot/cold water in my garage, so I can wash it at home even during the winter.

Rob

Haha, I just bought one of those standing platforms too :) I'll have to try the rain-x on the roof glass, that's a great idea. Drying the roof is a lot of work - if I don't dry the glass I get spots. So great idea!

I too have a floor drain in my garage and sometimes wash the rims in the garage during the week - but again, my dust as decreased a lot so it's much better.

Last edited:

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, I just bought one of those standing platforms too :) I'll have to try the rain-x on the roof glass, that's a great idea. Drying the roof is a lot of work - if I don't dry the glass I get spots. So great idea!

Me having a good idea was bound ot happen at least once in my life. I would love to send your response to my wife, but I already know that would be a bad idea.

The roof cleans up really nicely with RainX. I hardly spend any time drying it. Now getting RainX applied to the roof, sun roof and all those windows is a real pain in the ass. but luckily you only have to do it a couple of times a year.

I am very hopeful that aftermarket pads come out soon for the LR4. I just hate the brake dust.

Rob

tim-in-ca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well ... I just sprung for the entire headlight "conversion kit" I orderd the H11 and H7 CVs and the another post's LED recommendation for the front running lights. I'll install one side and see if I can capture a difference with old and new sides on with pix. Here's what I just ordered from Amazon :

Fog and Low Beams - 2x Philips H11 CrystalVision Ultra Headlight Bulb, Pack of 2

Running Lights - 2x Putco White 194 Type 360-Degree High Intensity LED Premium Replacement Bulb - Single Bulb

High Beams - Philips H7 CystalVision Ultra Headlight Bulb, Pack of 2

Well my lights came in a day early and being impatient, I installed them tonight and well the improvement is quite dramatic! Follow the tips in the thread to install and take your time. The only additional tip I can give is to get the screws back into the fog lights, you really should tape the screw to the torx driver otherwise it will be impossible to get the screw back in. Here are the side by side pix. The right side of the pix are the new lights. Sorry, but all I had was my iPhone ... enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_0388.JPG
    IMG_0388.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0389.JPG
    IMG_0389.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0390.JPG
    IMG_0390.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0391.JPG
    IMG_0391.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 137

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Rob
Awesome idea!!! I am going to have to use RainX. I dry my entire carvwih a chamois and it works amazing..... The windows come out very clean and streak free. Also use microfiber cloths on the windows.

Thanks for the tips!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635