LR4 Halogen Bulb Upgrading - Highly Recommended

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gregorio

Reaction score
The original H11 bulbs for the fogs (as well as) the Halogens are equally useless, I mean they're both dim! The exact same bulbs. So if you hate the fogs, can you imagine how I felt to have both the halogens and fogs being so dim! The LR HIDs are miles ahead of what I had.

I don't want to oversell the CVs, but IMHO, they are the closest I've seen to HIDs for much less money. The projected light is pure white, very much a match to HID, along with the distance and safety of HIDs.

I was VERY skeptical at first, but after reading that Philips won numerous awards with the CVs in Europe and that they're consumer claim on their Web site notes that these are the "closest you can get to HIDs" and that they’re only 37 dollars a pair, I ordered them.

When I got them and installed them I was blown away. I honestly cannot tell the difference from my '08 M3 HIDs and these new CVs.

I think Philips nailed it with these and when you think about these new bulbs and process recently out of Germany, totally new technology and injection process, it's very plausible that these could be as good as HIDs. HIDs are an older technology and there's no question HIDs have competition.

These bulbs will not last as long as HIDs – but since they've only been on the US market for about four-weeks now, we’ll see what the life is soon.

BTW - fog HIDs are pretty hot looking! Why not try CVs (they are cheap) and if you don't like them just sell them on eBay.

I think you are right. I'll order a set for the fogs. For about $30, I can't really go wrong. Are these newer bulbs than the ones I bought last year?

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you are right. I'll order a set for the fogs. For about $30, I can't really go wrong. Are these newer bulbs than the ones I bought last year?

I'm not sure but here are the two part numbers that I found online. I'm surprised these have been around that long. I read that they just started selling these in the US just last month - maybe I was reading an old forum posting or the "Ultra" means they are new because I don't think the older CVs had the word ultra in it?

Philips Crystal Vision Ultra - H11 (low beam and fogs) Part 12362 (the 12362 S2 are North American version) and the 12362 are labelled as the European version - not sure why but I'm sure they are exactly the same. They run about $37 USD for a pair/ea. Most retailers were back-ordered but I was able to find them via eBay and got them the next day (live in CA.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0303737130&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

- or -

www.bulbs.com

Anyway, they're cheap enough to explore. I thought to myself, if I don't like them I could also sell them used on eBay for half the price.

Last edited:

Disco4Me

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure but here are the two part numbers that I found online. I'm surprised these have been around that long. I read that they just started selling these in the US just last month - maybe I was reading an old forum posting or the "Ultra" means they are new because I don't think the older CVs had the word ultra in it?

Philips Crystal Vision Ultra - H11 (low beam and fogs) Part 12362 (the 12362 S2 are North American version) and the 12362 are labelled as the European version - not sure why but I'm sure they are exactly the same. They run about $37 USD for a pair/ea. Most retailers were back-ordered but I was able to find them via eBay and got them the next day (live in CA.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0303737130&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

- or -

www.bulbs.com

Anyway, they're cheap enough to explore. I thought to myself, if I don't like them I could also sell them used on eBay for half the price.

They're worth every signle dollar. The bulbs are bright and look amazing with my HID headlights. I bought them to change out my fog lights from Bulbs.com . Got them in 2 days from east coast.

Gregorio

Reaction score
They're worth every signle dollar. The bulbs are bright and look amazing with my HID headlights. I bought them to change out my fog lights from Bulbs.com . Got them in 2 days from east coast.

That's where I go for bulbs. Great prices. Hopefully, they will be easy to install :)

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's where I go for bulbs. Great prices. Hopefully, they will be easy to install :)

If you have big hands it can be a little tight replacing the fogs H11s. The connection isn't long enough to completely remove the fog from outside of the bumper cut-out.

Also, be sure to note the screw pattern when removing the fogs. It's clearly diagramed in the owners manual - so reference that before you start taking $^#% apart. There are four holes but only three screws! Why? I don't know.

But if you don't put the screws back in the exact positions they came from, then the fog alignment becomes offset.

I learned this the hard way. :argh:

Gregorio

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I read the manual and hope I understand it.

tim-in-ca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused, the user's manual states that teh Headlamps (Halogen) are both 55W H7 not H11 and that the fogs are 55W H11's ... just want to be sure I get the right ones.

Disco4Me

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused, the user's manual states that teh Headlamps (Halogen) are both 55W H7 not H11 and that the fogs are 55W H11's ... just want to be sure I get the right ones.

The high-beams are H7, the low-beams and fogs are H11. I'm not sure why the manual notes otherwise. I found out the hard way, originally ordered low-beams H7 and when I took the light out... the halogen connector/original bulb was clearly marked as a H11.

Then I checked the high-beam and found that it is the H7 connection/notation on original bulb. Rather than tossing the H7s I ordered I just replaced the H7 high-beams. I then ordered H11s CV Ultras for the low-beam (halogens) and H11s CV Ultras for the fogs.

You could also just remove your headlamps (it's very, very easy) and check the connections/bulbs and note what you need. Note the fogs too and then order.

tim-in-ca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The high-beams are H7, the low-beams and fogs are H11. I'm not sure why the manual notes otherwise. I found out the hard way, originally ordered low-beams H7 and when I took the light out... the halogen connector/original bulb was clearly marked as a H11.

Then I checked the high-beam and found that it is the H7 connection/notation on original bulb. Rather than tossing the H7s I ordered I just replaced the H7 high-beams. I then ordered H11s CV Ultras for the low-beam (halogens) and H11s CV Ultras for the fogs.

You could also just remove your headlamps (it's very, very easy) and check the connections/bulbs and note what you need. Note the fogs too and then order.

Thanks for the info ... to confirm, is your LR4 a 2010 or 2011? Mine is a 2010. Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72