LR4 - Heavy Duty Package Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think they are alienating buyers en masse. A great majority of Land Rover buyers do not care about V8/V6 or transfer case changes with the upcoming models.
I totally agree. The masses will see a slight increase in MPGs and love it. Most people use them the same as an X5, ML, or Q7, so the lack of 2-speed transfer case won't even phase them at all.

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering the number of LR's and RR's I see in Laguna, I'd guess if they had no transfer cases and no 4WD, most of the people up there could own the vehicle for it's entire lease term and never even notice the lack thereof. People actually do the jaw drop and look as if we're insane when we say we take the vehicles off road. I think, especially the RR's, are more of a soccer mom status symbol in Orange and LA counties, save for a few who actually love to use them to their potential.

So, in essence, I guess the two speed transfer case and the V8 won't be missed except by the purists out here.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering the number of LR's and RR's I see in Laguna, I'd guess if they had no transfer cases and no 4WD, most of the people up there could own the vehicle for it's entire lease term and never even notice the lack thereof. People actually do the jaw drop and look as if we're insane when we say we take the vehicles off road. I think, especially the RR's, are more of a soccer mom status symbol in Orange and LA counties, save for a few who actually love to use them to their potential.

So, in essence, I guess the two speed transfer case and the V8 won't be missed except by the purists out here.
I totally agree. It's the same here in the SF Bay area. I also spend a lot of time at our place in southern UT, but I very very very rarely see a Land Rover product. If I do, it's in St. George.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have two 2013 LR4's and are SOOO glad we bought them when we did. Had we waited for the 14's, we would have missed several of the features we liked the most and would either have been tramping the internet and car lots looking for a leftover or a used low mileage vehicle. Sometimes, in order to secure a pat on the head from the EPA and the gummint on fuel mileage, the car makers alienate the buyers enmasse. They seem to forget on which side of the bread the butter is spread and who spreads it!

I'm glad we picked up our 2013 V8 LR4 and V8 RRS in August. The new RRS just doesn't do it for me: It seems like an oversized Evoque and I like the classic Range Rover look of the 2013 V8 RRS. On the LR4, the single speed transfer case wouldn't be a problem because we could just order the HD option but I would not like the V6 engine. Maybe they'll come out with a V8 option to keep everyone happy.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
We were all mourning the loss of the two-speed transfer case (as standard) last month when it was announced. I think 98% of the Land Rover owners won't care.
I don't think they are alienating buyers en masse. A great majority of Land Rover buyers do not care about V8/V6 or transfer case changes with the upcoming models.
I totally agree. The masses will see a slight increase in MPGs and love it. Most people use them the same as an X5, ML, or Q7, so the lack of 2-speed transfer case won't even phase them at all.
You guys are right, of course. Land Rover's transformation has been going on long enough that I should just accept it and let go of my childish angst. I just need to zen out, for Pete's sake.

Deeeeep breath. Deeeeep breath. Okay.

An LR4 with no low range is just fine. (for the WIFE!!)
Crossover vehicles are great. (as long as the worst they see is WET PAVEMENT!!)
19" wheels and skinny sidewalls are nice. (for a frickin' RACE TRACK!)
2014 LR4s will appeal to lots of people. (especially SOCCER MOMS!)
It's a great time we live in. (I wish I were DEAD!!)

Whoa. I think I was channeling Sam Kinison for a minute there…

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are right, of course. Land Rover's transformation has been going on long enough that I should just accept it and let go of my childish angst. I just need to zen out, for Pete's sake.

Funny, your rant is exactly why I'm considering a new LC200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I love it! :)

I think most of us share your sentiments. It's funny, I was at the Land Rover dealership yesterday and was chatting with the service guy about the 2014 LR4. He barely knew anything and basically said, oh it will be fine for most of the people who want a Land Rover. Then, he said, "we do need to try to win over those crossover people". Ugh.

Maybe I shouldn't be such a purist.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least starting with MY14s we won't have to hunt around for locking rear differentials and full size spares anymore, either you are "all in" with the HD pack, or you are not. Figuring out whether a used LR3 or 4 came with HD pack was often challenging up to MY13. No more. The SCV6 should have more than enough grunt off road, especially when paired to that new 8-speed tranny, and a Heavy Duty equipped 2014 LR4 will be a great off-roading machine.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least starting with MY14s we won't have to hunt around for locking rear differentials and full size spares anymore, either you are "all in" with the HD pack, or you are not. Figuring out whether a used LR3 or 4 came with HD pack was often challenging up to MY13. No more. The SCV6 should have more than enough grunt off road, especially when paired to that new 8-speed tranny, and a Heavy Duty equipped 2014 LR4 will be a great off-roading machine.
This is a great point, as right now it can be challenging to know for sure at times. I know complain about the MY2014 losing the V8, but I do think the SC V6 will be a great engine and plenty capable - especially with the heavy duty package. I don't want it, but I am excited to see it in person and hear how it does on the trails.

Didier

Reaction score
Heavy duty package

I love it! :)

I think most of us share your sentiments. It's funny, I was at the Land Rover dealership yesterday and was chatting with the service guy about the 2014 LR4. He barely knew anything and basically said, oh it will be fine for most of the people who want a Land Rover. Then, he said, "we do need to try to win over those crossover people". Ugh.

Maybe I shouldn't be such a purist.

Hi all!

My first post. I'm looking at acquiring a 2014MY LR4 and was looking for advice on the heavy duty package.

I had a very similar experience after speaking with a landrover salesperson the other day. I was told that the twin speed transfer box was only for "serious offroading" and would most benefit from not having it due to the weight savings.

In all honesty, I don't foresee using the LR4 offroad, except for possibly on a dirt or gravel road. However, I do expect to drive through heavy snow accumulations over a foot deep several times per year in Canada. Roads can also get very slippery with ice, snow and slush.

Would I benefit from the twin speed transfer box given my expected driving conditions, or should I rather save the extra cost of the heavy duty package?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM