LR4 - Is there an equivalent in ride/driving experience?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is an oft overlooked quality of the LR3/4.

I put the vents in the rear windows and I'm done, while my buddies fumble around with tents and pegs. With a exped megamat, I sleep darn near as good as at home. Hella lot better than a tent in a thunder/wind storm as well.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
Nothing comparable in my opinion. Closest I can come, as an owner of a 1992 and a 2001 is an Isuzu Trooper.
Not may of those around anymore, but there is one in the neighborhood I see at the grocery store every now and then.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who's a G Wagon fan? Maybe a nice W463 G 550. I like those, and prices becoming more attainable.
You ever drive one? They drive like tanks, not in a good way. A lot more stuff than an air suspended LR.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is an oft overlooked quality of the LR3/4.

I put the vents in the rear windows and I'm done, while my buddies fumble around with tents and pegs. With a exped megamat, I sleep darn near as good as at home. Hella lot better than a tent in a thunder/wind storm as well.
I second this. Nothing like sleeping in the back on an exped with my window vents in and small electric fan cranking. I have the xlifter now so it makes it so much easier to hit the "self level" function instead of fiddling with my gap tool. Vehicle camping at it's best!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You ever drive one? They drive like tanks, not in a good way. A lot more stuff than an air suspended LR.

Agreed. I love G-Wagons, but there is no comparison in ride quality. They are also a bit smaller inside than you would think. Not as much shoulder room.

The one thing that the G-Wagon's driving experience beats out the LR4 on is the seating position and view. And that is certainly saying something, because that's one of my favorite things about the LR4. Driving a G-Wagon is like driving an aircraft control tower.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I love G-Wagons, but there is no comparison in ride quality. They are also a bit smaller inside than you would think. Not as much shoulder room.

The one thing that the G-Wagon's driving experience beats out the LR4 on is the seating position and view. And that is certainly saying something, because that's one of my favorite things about the LR4. Driving a G-Wagon is like driving an aircraft control tower.
Ahh good to know. I knew it was solid axle but no, never driven one. They are practically taxis up here in my area these days, so I see them every day and admire them, but given my love for the LR, never actually shopped or driven one. Unfortunately with a family of 4 on most trips, I really don't use the inside sleeping capability of the truck. Except once during a windstorm last year...

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh good to know. I knew it was solid axle but no, never driven one. They are practically taxis up here in my area these days, so I see them every day and admire them, but given my love for the LR, never actually shopped or driven one. Unfortunately with a family of 4 on most trips, I really don't use the inside sleeping capability of the truck. Except once during a windstorm last year...
GWAGs are amazing and I would have gotten one over the Defender V8 we have but the Mrs does not like them. You just need to drive one to understand. Of course that's my opinion

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GWAGs are amazing and I would have gotten one over the Defender V8 we have but the Mrs does not like them. You just need to drive one to understand. Of course that's my opinion
They’re amazing. It’s like someone built a D110 correctly.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that all being said, I window shop Rangers and Gladiators once in a while… but I’ll probably find a low mileage 2013 LR4 when the time comes.
I also have a Gladiator. Only thing similar is the view out the window and driver position. It's noisier, steering stinks, and has no where near the power but I love it for what it is. The stereo is 1000 time better I can tell you that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut