LR4 - Is there an equivalent in ride/driving experience?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Porsche Cayenne. A friend loaned me his for a long trip, and it was super comfortable. I think his was a 2008? No idea of tow capacity, though, and the cargo capacity is considerably less. I test drove a newer 4Runner, which was pretty good and had nearly as much capacity, but I'm glad I got an LR4.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have a Gladiator. Only thing similar is the view out the window and driver position. It's noisier, steering stinks, and has no where near the power but I love it for what it is. The stereo is 1000 time better I can tell you that.

If I were currently in the market, I would be looking hard at a Gladiator. Are they LR refined, no. But, you can now get leather, heated seats, a decent stereo, etc. You could put a topper and still sleep in it and relatively easily run 37" tires. Solid axles and big tires cover a lot of driver sins.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DEF_24MY_OUTBOUND_260423_15.jpg

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2nd row doesn't look like it folds flat, so remove it and build a platform and it might work really nicely. Long rear overhang though (looks longer than the LR4, but maybe not?)

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks awkward and made worse with a bunch of useless accessories bolted on. The swing tire would be OK if it was removeable. Put it on when actually off road out in the boonies but when in the city not needed and in the way.

LR4 FTW!

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2nd row doesn't look like it folds flat, so remove it and build a platform and it might work really nicely. Long rear overhang though (looks longer than the LR4, but maybe not?)
From a little further down, you're right: "Its near flat loadspace floor (with 1.267 metres in length behind the 2nd row) easily accommodates everything from wetsuits and kit bags to camping and climbing gear."

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay guys, I know this sounds crazy, but I have a 2012 LR4 and have had since it rolled off the truck in 2011. I've tried to find something that I like driving just a much, but I just haven't. Since that time, I've had the MB GL, BMW X5M, Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, Cadillac CTS-V, Toyota 4Runner and I've also test driven a number of other vehicles. The problem is, I've just not found a vehicle that feels like the LR4. I don't even know how I'd describe it other than saying it's solid and smooth.

@bash535i - what year Mercedes GL did you have or test drive? The older ones (X164 chassis) were more comparable to the LR4 and were produced from about 2006-2012. The newer GL (X166 chassis) is a big leap forward in technology, gizmos, performance, etc. The X166 were produced from about 2013-2019. Note the name changed as of 2016 from "GL" to "GLS", which is confusing, as it's the same chassis for all 7 years.

I've been considering a used X166 (GL550/GLS550) as an addition to our 2010 LR4, instead of buying a second LR4. But I haven't driven one yet - very few locally, we'd have to road trip to a big city to find one on a dealer lot. I want the Off Road package which adds a few critical features, unfortunately this package is rare and hard to find. If you owned an X166, I'd love to know what you didn't like about it.

Note the G-wagen is a completely different animal and not really comparable to the LR4. Most G-wags only seat 5 and as noted in prior posts, most people can't sleep in them. Some G-wags have fold-down rear jump seats which is *not* the same as a 3rd row like the LR4. And, the G rides like the suspension is made of concrete (although the new, redesigned G-class might have improved in that regard). It was designed as a military vehicle, and feels like it. The insane price tags are final nails in the G-wag coffin. You can get several LR4's or X166 GL's for the price of one 10-15 year old G-wag. No thanks.

:hmmmm:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the long wheelbase Defender looks awful. If they could have kept the tire off the back gate I may have considered the short 4 door. As it looks now? Maybe a Lexus GX and replace that awful front end with a bush bar setup.? Don't know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut