LR4 off-road upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very cool but I don't think you have a custom tire size ;) They don’t make a 275/75.... you probably have the 275/70 roughly 33”.

With the mods you have done, you should consider a 34” next. I have all the same mods plus the strut spacers.

I’m using the km2 in 34” 285/70-18.

:
Never mind, I forgot your on an lr4 and using those think spacers. FYI, H&R makes a 1” spacer that does what you need still while buying more clearance on turning and articulation into fender liners.

Ideally the most clearance for an lr4 without swapping brake rotors down to lr3 size is to use the Compomotive wheels which have very little extra offset. It’s just enough but gives up very little in clearances.

I actually have lr3 v6 sized factory rotors which allow factory 17’s. Some ideas for youndown the road.

Nice video ! I go out alone a lot and am too dang lazy to set up a tripod but I am now inspired!

You are correct. I "fat fingered" it. They are 275/65R18. About 32.1"

I know those Compomotives are the best. I have had them in my "cart" on multiple occasions. I just keep imagining beating the holy hell out of them, and their requisite replacement cost.

Hadn't heard about the H&R spacers. I might order one for research.

If I remember correctly, you have quite a bit of added weight on your truck, as well. Noticeable difference with the smaller rotors?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Braking is still everything I’d hope for and I’ve tested emergency full stops which were just as good as before. If one wanted a bit more on these rotors, harsher pads could be used that would also take more abuse.

The H&R are really well made. I got them initially to get 17’s on without a rotor change but now still use them to create snow chain clearance at the UCA.

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello everyone,
i off-road my 2011 LR4 almost every week on dry dirt, rocky roads and sand.
i wonder what sould i consider to upgrade in regards to wheels, tires and, ofcourse, suspension. i started to believe that oem suspension is too soft and weak as i have had different issues every other trip especially with struts.

thank you all in advance.

There is a lot of great info here on truck additions. But I would recommend the most important modification is the driver, meaning if you have access to a good 4WD school, spend the money there first and learn from some experts how to modify your driving habits for improved off road performance. You might be amazed as to how capable these vehicles are stock. Tires are very important as these vehicles do come with street tires on them to begin with.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a lot of great info here on truck additions. But I would recommend the most important modification is the driver, meaning if you have access to a good 4WD school, spend the money there first and learn from some experts how to modify your driving habits for improved off road performance. You might be amazed as to how capable these vehicles are stock. Tires are very important as these vehicles do come with street tires on them to begin with.

This a valid point. Especially important, as the newer Rover's with Terrain Response require a somewhat different driving technique than traditional 4x4's.

In basic terms, stability management should be switched off virtually every time you leave the pavement. Secondly, driving technique needs to be modified to allow enough time for the vehicles sensors to determine what is going on, and the best way for the system to deal with whatever it is encountering.

There was a good discussion of this over on Expedition Portal years ago.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99