LR4 On The Beach Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vivaldi1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NM. you said 'air down' meaning you decrease by 10 PSI ;)

I was worried for a second.

OffRoving

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No...I air down 10lbs [drop], not air down to 10lbs. So that's about 25-30lbs depending upon the tire you're running. Don't want to go below that [in my humble opinion] as you increase the possibility of rolling off your rim and/or getting sand inside the bead which causes leaks.

dstrickler

Reaction score
Driving on sand advice

When we drive in the sand:
  • low range [so you have the power you need before you get stuck]
  • air down 10lbs
  • sand mode [spin only when you need to]
  • 2-3 gear but Drive works fine for 90% of the time
  • slow starts with "aggressively gradual" acceleration
  • keep momentum at all costs [especially when going uphill]

I drive all summer on the beach, in a number of vehicles, and this advice above is spot on. The sand on our beach is soft, and thus easier to get stuck in. One thing I would note is that the LR4's Sand Mode is for "hard packed sand" according to the manual. When on soft sand, turn off the "DSC", and you should be fine. And yes, it's always a good idea to deflate the tires. How far you drop them is your call, but I go to a measured 18-20psi.

As a side note, I have a 1954 Willys (CJ-3B) that I also take on the same beach. At 56 years old, it performs a little better (although the ride is rougher) on the beach than my Acura MDX, and my LR4. I think the reason is less electronics which means the driver can "feel" there way across the sand. Just a guess though...

As for tools to bring on the beach I'd recommend a tow rope, a shovel, etc, but the only thing you really need is a wooden board. Bring one that's a few inches wider than your tires, and about 2 feet long. If you get stuck, wedge it under a tire, and drive off. :hello:

vivaldi1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey folks!

And maybe I haven't hit really hard stuff yet. But I seem to be unable to even try and get stuck ;)

Been hitting the beach and dunes for 4 days in a row now thru deep soft sand, and hard packed sand, into flooded soft sand roads with lots of hills and mud and this car just refuses to get stuck. I've even tried normal mode, hi range (3rd gear), in the deep stuff, and the car doesn't skip a beat. I've gone outside of the deep tracks diagonally across deep sand where the car should almost bottom out, and stopped and the machine starts without nary a slip.

I'll post some pics/videos later when I compile 'em.

The one thing I have done consistently is air down to 22 PSI everytime, maintain momentum especially uphill and avoid hitting the accelerator hard when I feel things slipping when I get on the beach or dunes.

I'm having a ball though. I'm really thinking I worry far more about getting stuck than my LR4 does. I'm starting to feel confident. Which is a sure sign I'll get stuck I suppose ;)

eaglerover

Reaction score
I agree...been on the beach in outer banks all week...there is a significant difference between airing down to 18 to 20 psi and airing down to just 30 psi in soft sand. With 18 to 20 I just float over the sand...been driving in deep soft sand too. I have also been in sand mode and have had dsc off, raised it 4 inches, and drove in low.

Last edited:

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some sand driving today. Didn't air down or switch to low and the Disocvery did great. I did turn off DSC and set the suspension to high though.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG-20110731-00073.jpg

brokenneckcp

Reaction score
You don't need to air down the Land Rover. The off-road system allows you to drive in the sand worry free. I don't even put it in "sand mode". Just get at it.

Be careful if you do air down. The reason 4x4 drivers air down their tires is because they CAN and get crazy grip. A tire like the BFG Mud or All Terrain has a Kevlar side wall and a thicker bead to allow for some good "mash" of the tires when aired down. Basically all that means is that the tire will stay attached to the wheel. With a lower profile tire, like those that come on stock LR4s, you just won't get that effect. Try it without airing down, grab your juevos, and you'll be surprised.

Don't want to get stuck... park on a hill. And don't forget you can always go backwards.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. That's how I did it and it went OK. No sand mode or low ratio transmission. Just DSC off and high suspension setting.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99