LR4 Performance upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rookierover

Reaction score
I dont doubt the current capability of the Discovery 4/LR4 but has anyone upgraded the engine?? I cant seem to find any parts to speed this baby up...

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No clue.

But generally speaking, it's very hard to get high-performing naturally aspirated modern engines to gain performance with bolt-on mods (turbo or supercharged engines are another story). If you do find stuff, beware of over-inflated claims of performance improvements.

As a rule, very little that you find will be worth the money considering the marginal performance boost (if any) and the issues you may have with dealers voiding warranties.

I personally feel the LR4, for what it is, is PLENTY fast with the V8. You may want more straight line performance, but it is a tall, heavy SUV. It already can feel too fast for what it can handle on turns. I would rather buy a cheap old Miata for fun in the twisties than spend money trying to make the LR4 faster. That's me.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No clue.

But generally speaking, it's very hard to get high-performing naturally aspirated modern engines to gain performance with bolt-on mods (turbo or supercharged engines are another story). If you do find stuff, beware of over-inflated claims of performance improvements.

As a rule, very little that you find will be worth the money considering the marginal performance boost (if any) and the issues you may have with dealers voiding warranties.

I personally feel the LR4, for what it is, is PLENTY fast with the V8. You may want more straight line performance, but it is a tall, heavy SUV. It already can feel too fast for what it can handle on turns. I would rather buy a cheap old Miata for fun in the twisties than spend money trying to make the LR4 faster. That's me.

+1 This is not the type of vehicle that needs tinkered with. If you want something like this that if faster, check out the Range Rover Sport Supercharged from the last couple of years.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or just drive an LR3 for a few days then go back to driving an LR4. You will think the LR4 is plenty fast. That 75 extra horsepower makes a big difference. My wife agrees that sometimes the LR4 has too much power for it's handling ability. Get a 2.0T A4 if you want to do some fun chip upgrades.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635