LR4 Second Battery Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already use them, but have them hard wired to turn off with the ignition now, so they only record when the engine is running. I have a Cowon AC1 mounted on the rear window, and a BlackVue DR500GW-HD on the windshield.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heard back from Tim, my order was delayed a bit because they are adding a new Battery Guard low-voltage cutout module (BG-25) to the kit, a unit designed to prevent over-discharge of the aux battery. Sounds like a good idea (I plan on hardwiring my dash and rear window cams into the system, and those devices will be recording 24/7 even when parked), and worth the extra wait. Should ship tomorrow, I'll keep you posted on how my install goes.

Are you saying that the previous kits didn't have a battery guard cutoff module?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's my understanding, yes. In theory, you could flatten your aux battery without this new guard (even though most in-car appliances, such as refrigerators, etc., have built-in safeties that turn off power if they sense voltage from the battery falling below a certain level.)

96_993TT

Reaction score
@umbertob. I don't recall how long it took but not to worry. Tim will do right and you'll get it. It's great he's sending you the updated kit. If you run cameras you'll want that. The ARB fridge we use senses when power drops too low and shuts down. I've only seen that when testing to see how many days we could run without starting the truck.

drivesafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you saying that the previous kits didn't have a battery guard cutoff module?

Hi folks and because of so much confusion about my new Battery Guard and what is already being protected by your existing isolator in the kits supplied up to now, I have added the word “AUXILIARY“ to the “Battery Guard” name

All the existing kits are specifically designed to protect the main/cranking battery. This is the desired intention of all types of DBS isolators.

But as a result of many, many customers requesting some form of protection for their AUXILIARY battery(s), because they have left some appliance on, such as a fridge or lights, and they have flattened and in numerous cases, destroyed the auxiliary battery, I have now produced a Low Voltage Cut-Out Device specifically for protecting auxiliary batteries from being over discharged.

So folks, the new device is an Auxiliary Battery Guard.

This device will NOT work as a protection device for Main/Cranking batteries because the special Cut-In and Cut-Out levels of the device are designed for use with DEEP CYCLE batteries and are not suited to Cranking battery requirements.

Umberto, sorry for the delay and your order was shipped today.

BTW, Umberto, your kit is the first LEFT HAND DRIVE kit to have a modification, kindly made available by some helpful feedback from Greg, that will allow easier mounting of you Auxiliary battery.

Big thanks Greg, your time and feedback is muchly appreciated.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed. Unbelievable pain in the ass, but the kit is top quality throughout, and the instructions supplied by Traxide are terrific. Took me about 6-7 hours overall (including making room for the aux battery a couple of weeks ago, that was at least an hour or two on its own), and I didn't take too many breaks. Running the wire through the recessed plug in the firewall was the hardest part of the job, as I expected, but laying the cable run between engine bay and cargo area, and then the extension for the new auxiliary socket across to the other side of the cargo area, were no picnic, either. Unscrewing and screwing the nut on the grounding stud without dropping it in the dark recesses of the engine bay must have taken me a good 30 minutes at least, it's near impossible to reach that sucker under all the brake lines if you have hands larger than Cinderella. Hooking up batteries and cables at the very end was by far the easiest and most fun part of the project.

The result is totally worth the effort though, I now have two 12v sockets in the trunk (the factory one on the driver's side and a new one on the opposite side), plus both my cameras, hard wired into the Optima auxiliary battery and monitored by the new aux battery low voltage cutoff module, and everything is working like a charm.

Thanks Tim, you really manufacture a terrific product. I have a few notes and suggestions for your install manual (which may make the job a bit easier for LH drive vehicles installations, as some of the instructions don't jive with what I found), will send them over via email... After I get some sleep.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's funny, I just finished mine up last night as well and was swearing until the end. I chose to run the cabling along the wire harness on the frame rail and then enter through the wire harness grommet in the rear. Still no easier. Awaiting the battery as I ordered an odyssey. Will be very worth it though and the install came out clean.

I managed to drop my wedding ring into that recess while undoing the ground nut next to the brake lines. It runs loose on my finger and happens sometimes. Talk about a pain. Coat hanger saved the day.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed. Unbelievable pain in the ass, but the kit is top quality throughout, and the instructions supplied by Traxide are terrific. Took me about 6-7 hours overall (including making room for the aux battery a couple of weeks ago, that was at least an hour or two on its own), and I didn't take too many breaks. Running the wire through the recessed plug in the firewall was the hardest part of the job, as I expected, but laying the cable run between engine bay and cargo area, and then the extension for the new auxiliary socket across to the other side of the cargo area, were no picnic, either. Unscrewing and screwing the nut on the grounding stud without dropping it in the dark recesses of the engine bay must have taken me a good 30 minutes at least, it's near impossible to reach that sucker under all the brake lines if you have hands larger than Cinderella. Hooking up batteries and cables at the very end was by far the easiest and most fun part of the project.

The result is totally worth the effort though, I now have two 12v sockets in the trunk (the factory one on the driver's side and a new one on the opposite side), plus both my cameras, hard wired into the Optima auxiliary battery and monitored by the new aux battery low voltage cutoff module, and everything is working like a charm.

Thanks Tim, you really manufacture a terrific product. I have a few notes and suggestions for your install manual (which may make the job a bit easier for LH drive vehicles installations, as some of the instructions don't jive with what I found), will send them over via email... After I get some sleep.
I am also considering this in my new LR4, but sounds like quite a job!

You are definitely one of the most helpful people on this forum!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few photos of my finished installation of the Traxide kit on a LH drive 2013 LR4.

Here is the auxiliary battery box with Optima and Traxide module installed, transfer case module repositioned (as per Greg's solution at the beginning of this thread) and all wiring connected. It's tight in there, but everything fits just fine.
attachment.php

Here is a closer view of the Traxide module sandwiched in the back corner of the aux battery box. The status LED is on the bottom of the module. On LH drive vehicles the module only fits upside down in that spot, as shown. The status LED is still visible by peeking between module and battery. I used two short self tapping screws to secure the module against the wall of the battery box, as I could not get the double sided tape provided by Traxide to adhere properly. It's a tight squeeze in there.
attachment.php

Here you see the new battery lead run connecting the main battery's positive terminal to the Traxide module on the other side of the engine bay, with an Anderson connector in the middle to quickly disconnect and isolate the main battery if necessary (for a jump start, for example.)
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Traxide1.jpg
    Traxide1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 200
  • Traxide2.jpg
    Traxide2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 202
  • Traxie3.jpg
    Traxie3.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 195