LR4 Second Battery Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Detail of the new location for the T-case module, mounted on the alarm horn bracket next to the battery. Again, look at Greg's photos in the first post of this thread, as I just performed a carbon copy of his ingenious mod. From the factory, this module sits inside a fairly useless plastic box in the middle of the auxiliary battery tray of the LR4. Plastic box was removed, all connectors and cables moved out of the way to make room for the battery. The process is completely reversible (as long as you have kept the original parts...)
Traxide7.jpg

The Optima D34 Yellow Top deep cycle AGM fits the aux battery box to perfection. This is the clearance between the edge of the battery and the brake fluid reservoir. Similar clearances all around the unit. No friction anywhere once the battery is secured down with the bracket.
Traxide8.jpg

And this is where I located the additional 12v power socket supplied by Traxide (passenger side of the cargo area.) I put it there because when my refrigerator is plugged in, the plug is still fairly recessed and out of the way, less chances of accidentally knocking it loose or breaking it when loading or unloading cargo. The existing 12v socket on the driver's side of the cargo area has also been converted to permanent power from the Optima battery with the Traxide kit.
Traxide5.jpg

Traxide6.jpg

Last edited:

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll post up some pics as well since I had a few questions. I followed the install similar to Umbertob's however I made a few changes.

• Ran the wiring for the rear outlet down next to the battery box, outside the heat plating and along the frame rail to the rear and entered via the grommet next to the spare tire on the LHD. I found this mostly easy to do once I figured out I should raise the truck to offroad height to get better access to the wiring loom. It follows the wiring loom exactly but I did have to lengthen the wiring by 3 feet to do this and it requires fiddling with the rear grommet by removing it and reinstalling which is a hassle but worth it to keep the area factory water resistant...
  • I removed the circuit breaker from the side of the module so I could have the module facing up with the green blinking light. I will reinstall this on the plastic casing of the battery box once the battery arrives and I can make it an exact fit.

My first outlet is on the LHD side as that is where my fridge is mounted on the pull out shelf. I will likely run the 2nd wire to the other side and add an outlet over there later.

Attachments

• IMG_0895.jpg
    IMG_0895.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0897.jpg
    IMG_0897.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0899.jpg
    IMG_0899.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0900.jpg
    IMG_0900.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0901.jpg
    IMG_0901.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 104

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some more pics...

Attachments

• IMG_0902.jpg
    IMG_0902.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0903.jpg
    IMG_0903.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0905.jpg
    IMG_0905.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0908.jpg
    IMG_0908.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0909.jpg
    IMG_0909.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks great! Which of you guys want a Florida vacation to do this to my truck? ;)

96_993TT

Reaction score
Finally got around to snapping a couple of pictures of our ARB cooler installed in the LR4. First photo shows just the cooler on its mount inside the truck. The second shows it pulled out for access. The third is a rear view shot. The nice thing about this setup is we can still use one of the rear seats which we use all the time on trips and still can take the cooler with us. We have an OEM Expedition Rack on the truck so we carry most of our gear up top. The cooler is mounted on aluminum tread plate and is attached to the right side anchor bolts and one bolt through the right side rear seat back. Its can be removed in about 5 minutes and comes out as a unit. (less the cooler of course)

Attachments

• IMG_1550.JPG
    IMG_1550.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1552.JPG
    IMG_1552.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1554.JPG
    IMG_1554.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1549.JPG
    IMG_1549.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

paul Gaydon

Reaction score
Hi i jsut read your post regarding the D3 and D4 dual battery set up.
jsut one question this black bracket in the picture did you make this or buy it form landlrover as a spare part. As i will be moving my traxide form my D3 to a D4 shortly any extra help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paul, are you talking about the bracket for the auxiliary battery? That came with the Traxide kit.

96_993TT

Reaction score
Hi Paul. I believe you're referring to the first set of images on the first page of the post correct? That bracket is already part of the car. If memory serves it was holding the horn which is in the images. I made the "L" brackets that hold the transfer case which was on the other side of the compartment. It needs to move to make room for the battery. It just happened to be the right size and already had the two holes/notches to bolt the brackets onto. There was nothing on this part of the original bracket. Its been so long so please don't hold me to any of this... :)

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any of you for hire to do this job? haha, I have the ARB fridge and while it works great when the car is running, on longer trips where we stay in one place, I had to plug the fridge into my buddy's FJ. The 2013 LR also cuts off all power after a few minutes so I am unable to keep the fridge going...would love to have a second battery just to power the fridge for multi days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72