LR4 Steering Sounds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never owned an allroad.. Had a Porsche that was making noises from the wheel and it turned out to be the clockspring.. Not cheap- pretty sure the dealership will send me over the barrel if this is the case..!

The temperature dropped here, and for the first time since I have owned the Rover the steering wheel noise stopped. This makes it difficult to troubleshoot. I'll try to heat up the garage and see if I can make it happen again.. The saga continues...

Mike

viper_iii

Reaction score
sorry never got any notifications of replies

(notes to remember)
- Live over 2hrs from Nearest Dealer
Purchase from dealers that will offer a driver / alternative options to get service / warranty taken care of --- usually means I pay a couple k over others at purchase - just depends.

Not the rubber boot at midshaft.... noise is directly behind steering wheel...
Typically louder after the cabin warms up but not always - drove for 2.5 hours to dealer and it was quiet by the time I got there... 2 min leaving lot - 10x louder...

----
TLDR - Version

In the shop again - 4th Dealer - but they knew the sound when they heard it...
-
TSB known issue - Rubber Gasket / something near clock spring - known issue.
Taking care of it under the CPO

This is not a sound these vehicles should be making - PERIOD

Long Story

Bought it ~ 2016
this is my 2nd LR4 and had 3 LR3's previously - as well as a few other Models sprinkled in...

this to get diagnosed correctly has been to original dealer 3-4 times for this issue

Took to another Dealer and they said - force Original dealer to fix it - the noise should be there and would not be something if they owned it, would put up with...

Took back to original Dealer -
Service basically said sorry we don't hear it and it doesn't exist -they all sound like that - took to the sales managers - basically why do I keep buying cars from your dealership if I'm treated like I'm an F'in Idiot - he agreed to dis-assemble and grease all components to diagnose the issue at their Cost and then discuss if the repair would be CPO covered or not.
Got call a few days later from service - Car was ready -

- they replaced the upper steering column supposedly - which didn't do anything. when I got it back it was making the same sound again. (got back - told the guy that dropped it off wasn't his problem - sending back again wouldn't do any good)

Took to another dealer - while in another area of the state ~3 weeks later - they said they were pretty sure it was clock spring / related part... would be 3 weeks before they could get it in... - I held off.. .took to some local mechanics .. ~$100 to diagnose (tear covers off and listen and look and put it back together)

Ended up Scheduling with 3 / 4th Dealer - about ~3 weeks later got it back down to the dealer that ~knew the sound and fairly confident the CPO would cover it.

Just got the call (next day) -

LTB00154NAS3 - That is the TSB - Steering Squeak - is being covered under CPO

Additional issue - Driver Mirror when unlocking - sometimes doesn't open...
Some issue with screws out of Tolerance - adding spacers / washers apparently is the resolution / fix for that.

Should have it back ~Dec 26/27 - have a loaner car so I'm not too worried, as long as I don't have to continue to do this... for another ~6 months.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Viper!

Can anyone get their mitts on that TSB? If the steering column has to come off, it's going in to the shop. If not, I'll do the write-up..

Mike

viper_iii

Reaction score
Steering wheel only... I think...

Thinking about buying a TSB membership..

One of our club members (SCLR) has LR4 TSB access - he might have it... I'll bug him next week

viper_iii

Reaction score
Damn... Didn't even bug him
Ubob is quick!

This TSB won't fix. It has already been done..
This was done in Aug/Sept.

I'll have to call dealership tomorrow...
That is down in the engine compartment not the steering wheel...

UGH....

This video was on the way to the dealership Wed Dec 21... ~15m of driving...

Before driving another 2h to dealer.

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like someone rubbing two sleeves of a nylon jacket together.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umberto is like the Batman of this forum.. Shows up out of nowhere, kicks ass, and is gone. When I get out to California again, I'm tracking him down with a case of Pacifico in the trunk..

It's so cold out here that I can't re-create it now, therefore can't tell if what I am doing is effective.. The sound is definitely within an arm's length of the driver. I've got the FSM around here.. I might heat up the garage and see if I can get it to happen, and start tearing it down.. Been awhile since I have had a plate of Airbag Surprise for lunch!

Mike

viper_iii

Reaction score
"AirBag Suprise for Lunch" - Exactly why i didn't attempt to locate the sound myself, rethinking that now though.

(honestly looks relatively easy and could get the hook took at local parts store)

- just would prefer not getting "airbagged" - or the famous - "Non Certified techs touched this....This is out of warranty now.... have a nice day."

viper_iii

Reaction score
Sounds like someone rubbing two sleeves of a nylon jacket together.

don't worry all LR3/4's make that noise...

Just turn the radio up - oh and CPO doesn't cover squeaks and rattles

(because Ujoints and other mechanical parts don't squeak apparently)
- Trim pieces, door seals, brakes, rotors, plastic body panels, dash, plastic parts - yeah I get those aren't mechanical / covered.

Also Noticed that LRNA changed their CPO program ~2010/11

not sure if many remember - used to have a $100 deductible and original dealer disappearing deductible option - I think.

Now it has changed and even autotrader doesn't have the specifics right..

sRxtPim.jpg

Its definitely not Bumper to Bumper LRNA only Mention Here
(actually its not defined ANYWHERE)

Wpz09rF.jpg

- yes have a brochure with more adjectives and what they check before they sell them - but not what is / isn't covered (like brakes/wipers/tires/other consumables / which on most vehicles includes suspension and parts - but LRNA knows airsprings are part of the drive train and they are covered - depends on which dealership you go to though.)

--------------

this is a video that shows - how close the phone gets to joint steering bearing - vs backed away. Again the noise is loud / quiet and gets progressively louder over time.

April 2016

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi