LR4 Steering Sounds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

viper_iii

Reaction score
Anyone else getting this sound from their steering wheel / column?

Dealer can't hear it as it seems to be too intermittent for them...

They did however reluctantly replace some upper column parts and that didn't change anything with the sound...

Their Initial advice - Turn the Radio up or roll down the window...
Sure the wife's clients will love that plan...

Took it to another Dealer and they said - DEFINITELY Not normal...
However if its not mechanically broken then it probably isn't covered under the CPO...

Has made the sound since we purchased and basically got it home... that was ~Jan 2016
2012 LR4

Believe now its possible this issue - very similar sound to a the Camry in the video below:
Not quite that loud but at times sure seems like it is...

anyone know if that point is accessible on the LR4 like the Toyota?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure sounds like a seal or ring, not a mechanical knock or anything like a CV joint. I would definitely get under there with some white lithium grease as that video shows and put a little on.

Only thing I would do differently is clean up all the excess grease after spraying it. No reason to have anywhere near that much.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have that sound although it may not be as pronounced as yours, viper. The reason I say "may not" is because I don't know how close you placed your mic when recording.

The volume level of mine is pretty subtle but definitely noticeable. I heard it fairly early on when I got my '11 LR4. Then I forgot about it until my wife drove it one time. She came home saying "your LR is haunted, I kept hearing these little voices whenever I would turn the wheel." The next time we were driving together I pointed it out and asked if that's what she heard and she confirmed it. I haven't been motivated to explore it any further because my sense is that it is not a critical issue. Hope I'm right about that.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does this, and it is starting to bug me as that sound must mean undue friction.. When I get home Friday I'll shoot some lithium grease up there and report back..

Then I'll tackle the squeaking gear selector..

Mike

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My gear selector squeeks as well. I've thought about shooting some lithium grease in there, but I'm not sure exactly where the squeek is coming from.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2013 has had the steering noise for about a year now. To me, it sounds like it is some rubber gasket / shroud or whatever. But it sounds like it is coming from the steering column directly behind the wheel.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody think that this could be the clockspring? God, I hope not..

Mine also sounds like it's on the interior side.. I'll be home tomorrow and will check it out..

Mike

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine sounds like rubber being rubbed. Not mechanical sounding at all. I am not brave enough to dismantle the steering column to take a look though! =X

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never heard of any clockspring issues on an LR3 or LR4.
Mike, did you own an Audi allroad? They all had clockspring issues from too many wires in the steering column. That is why Audi kept removing steering wheel buttons and functions on the allroad each model year.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72