LR4 to Defender direct comparison questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious for those of you that have made the switch. Is the NVH better or worse driving over rough / washboard roads ? I find the LR4 is dead quiet / rattle-free on pavement, but when driving to trailheads and such, it gets really annoying because there are a dozen invisible places noises come from -- not really rattles per se, but probably all the plastic panels moving against each other.

curb-optional

Reaction score
I too was like "not for me" after seeing the Discovery. Surprised to hear the Defender 110 has less load space than the LR4? I have seen a ton of those by me, and the 110 seems wider and at least as tall.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife just bought a Defender 130, so I have been combing through the thing to compare it to my beloved and very highly modded LR4.

The Defender is a nice combination of plush and utilitarian on the inside, but some aspects of it are just plain weird. For instance, why in 2023 the rear seats don't fold to make a flat load floor is beyond me. At a minimum, that negates the ability to sleep in the back. The Defender also doesn't have the ability to pull a single center seat to conveniently fit a fridge. It also seems that the interior seems smaller than what it should be given the exterior dimensions. Overall, I love the updated interior and modern tech, but for functionality and utility, the LR4 still has it beat.

My wife's Defender has the 296hp mill. It seems perfectly adequate for the vehicle. I would call this a wash, but I am comparing it to an LR4 that has 34 inchish tires, so it's gearing is quite a bit off as the factory tires were 29's. Not sure the Defender would still compare as adequate once you start stacking on rubber.

The turning circle comparison is a joke. The LR4 slays the Defender. That is not a meaningless comparison for someone who wheels their rig either.

You will never convince me that the unibody Defender is as stoutly constructed as the IBF LR4.

I have no experience offroad with the Defender to compare, but I would have a VERY hard time believing someone could take a Defender 110 or 130 somewhere I couldn't take my triple locked LR4.

In short, if I ever get around to adding Apple CarPlay to my LR4, I see no reason to upgrade to the newer version. My wife would tell you I'm crazy because the Defender is so much "nicer".

YMMV

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife just bought a Defender 130
Yikes! All that you said, plus the damage it can do to ones checkbook. (would to mine anyway). Each time the thought crosses my mind, I go on the LR USA site and build a 110 that would at least equal the features, comfort and most of the capability of my LR4..that instantly disabuses me of the notion. Congratulations, I'm sure it is really 'nice'. Looking forward to your 'drive' reviews..if you can get your hands on the key.
(the 130 might be long enough to at least lay down, in a pinch?..albeit not as comfortable)

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife just bought a Defender 130, so I have been combing through the thing to compare it to my beloved and very highly modded LR4.

The Defender is a nice combination of plush and utilitarian on the inside, but some aspects of it are just plain weird. For instance, why in 2023 the rear seats don't fold to make a flat load floor is beyond me. At a minimum, that negates the ability to sleep in the back. The Defender also doesn't have the ability to pull a single center seat to conveniently fit a fridge. It also seems that the interior seems smaller than what it should be given the exterior dimensions. Overall, I love the updated interior and modern tech, but for functionality and utility, the LR4 still has it beat.[p...

[...]
In short, if I ever get around to adding Apple CarPlay to my LR4, I see no reason to upgrade to the newer version. My wife would tell you I'm crazy because the Defender is so much "nicer".

How do you feel about Defender vs LR4 having had both for a little while now? I've been in a Defender a couple times and while the bigger screen give a more modern feel, I sometimes think the LR4 is the "nicer" one, with leather dash / top of door panels, lack of exposed screw heads, etc...

jerrygmyers

Reaction score
I traded my 2016 LR4 for a 2020 Defender 110 X. I have 3500 miles on it and done a few overlanding/camping trips and I can give my fair assessment of the two. I'll start with the rear cargo room which I miss in the LR4. That extra foot or so in depth is a lot when you pack for two and a couple of dogs. I have to say the clearsight mirror in the Defender is such a great feature when your visibility is limited.

Engine - I had the SCV6 LR4 and with gear, GF, kids and dogs on a 500 plus mile trip I would avg 17 to 18mpg. You really had to wind up the SCV6 for the power to kick in so merging onto the highway can be hit or miss. The inline 6 turbocharged/supercharged mild hybrid Defender you step on it and there is a half of second delay and then it takes off! It takes a while to get used to this coming from a V8 or SCV6. Driving up mountain passes and using the passing lane I put it into sport and this is where the engine really shines. Mpg is around 20 fully loaded so a big bonus in that respect.

On road - The Defender is hands down the winner that regard. Smoother and more refined and on the winding bits there is less understeer than in the LR4. I feel more comfortable in pushing the Defender in a corner. Less body roll which is probably due to the use of the all aluminum body. The turning radius however is pathetic and nearly embarrassing. The LR4 is much more maneuverable so driving in town with the Defender can be a pain. Lucky for me my daily driver is a BMWi3.

Off-road - I'll defer to others who do more technical rock crawling or trails. I'm limited with the all-seasons but from my experience so far the Defender's TR2 is a hands down winner and because of it I've been able to go off the beaten path with more confidence than my LR4 with off road tires. (my LR4 did not have the HD package).

Interior - This is subjective so take it as a grain of salt. I've done 7 hour plus driving in both and I will give the edge to the Defender but the LR4 is not far behind...at least that what my behind says :) The LR4 interior is more upscale and if there was a Apple carplay feature you may want to keep your LR4. The utilitarian interior of the Defender has grown on me and it is a conversation piece for passengers not familiar with the Defender. Not sure with the 130 but you can lay the rear seats flat in the 110. I've slept 6 nights in the Defender and many night in the LR4 and they both work well. I added an extra air mattress for better comfort. Oh yes that leaves for my final complaint. There should be a "camping mode" for the Defender. Every time you open the door it wakes up the car and by the end of the day you get the batter is low warning light on the dash. Absolutely annoying!

As much as I love the looks of the new Defender I will give the edge to looks for the LR3/4. All around for on road/off road there is nothing like the new Defender.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I happened across this video from a channel called 4xoverland, hosted by Andrew St. Pierre White. He was comparing the Ineos Grenadier (as a replacement) to the old Defender. Not sure how legit the guy is but he did make an interesting point. After going down the line comparing capacities and features, he came down heavily on the fact that the Grenadier was too expensive and plush to be considered a good replacement for the old utilitarian Defender. The way he laid it out, it made sense.

His take is that a large part of the charm of the old Defender is that a regular guy could afford to get into one. leaving enough money to modify and customize it. That process, and sweat equity, made that particular Defender his own. In the host's view, a fully loaded Grenadier cut the regular guy out and that's why it wasn't a good replacement for the old Defender.

This same criticism might be applied to the new Defender vs. the LR4. Sure, a new LR4 wasn't exactly cheap in its day, but steep depreciation over a relatively short period of time meant that a decent used one could be had affordably. Meaning that regular guys could own one and play with it. The new Defender seems priced to capture the upscale market rather than your average off-road enthusiast.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I don’t own the new 110… yet. (see my post in the D5 forum)
But I did spend 1/2 a day with her at the LR Experience in Vermont. And they did let me have my way with her; not only off road, but on road, in the town, and on the winding country road… driving too fast.
Don’t tell my LR4…. she’s at risk of a divorce as I have eyes for another beauty.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV