LR4 Trailer Hitch Receiver Needed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ARMSF

Reaction score
Hello!

Bought our LR4 years ago and just now realized it is missing the hitch receiver. The dealership we bought from was a mess. They had to send us all the mats, headphones, and cooler inserts that were missing. I never thought to check in on the receiver until now, never needed to use it! And its gone. They said no dice as it was back in 17' that we bought it.

I am looking for a reasonably priced receiver. Cant fork out the $4-500 that they go for online.

Willing to trade for a set of new in box headsets for rear entertainment if anyone is in need.

Cheers, Andrew~

nemeth

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I was in the same spot, need a hitch, didn't realize it didn't come with one; don't want to pay $500 for the quick-release OEM.

Was considering looking through the junk yard, but can't beat $35.

ARMSF

Reaction score
My local shop felt my pain and recommended this. Said he's used them for customers a lot in our same boat and is a good replacement. Takes about 10 min and a socked set to install.

If I cannot find the receiver for a decent price I will go this route.

Michael Conley

Reaction score
I ended up getting this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ES0UDS/ after trying the type of receiver mentioned above. Install wasn't that tough and I like the look (Not my LR4)

81CQGi94IVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Also picked up this hitch cover https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072M4YY49 :
71nwa31MQeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, the $35 one off ebay is rated for 500 lbs. tongue weight and the $160 one from British Atlantic is rated for 500 lbs. and the $235 one from Amazon is rate for 600 lbs. and the $600-$660 OEM one from British Atlantic is listed as 550 lbs. (even though it is stamped on the metal as rated for 770 lbs.). Seriously, what gives here?

I'd take the one off of ebay if the difference in tongue weight is only 50 lbs. My sense is that someone is lawyering up here and doesn't want to be held liable if something goes sideways. I remember when every toy (including stuff like basketballs) were labeled (CHOKING HAZARD!!!).

Class III hitch category is listed as being able to handle a tongue weight of up to 800 lbs. That's not my opinion, that's what the category rating says.

The bigger question for me is how much do I realistically want to tow with an LR4. What if it could handle 7,000 lbs. but it is going to be hammering your suspension and drive train and wear out your truck? What if it could manage 5,000 lbs. without overstressing the vehicle? Well then maybe it makes more sense not to push it. But, if that's the case, I want to know that rather than being handled.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Rover Range I do like that Safarigard. It doesn't change your departure angle. Double mounted to your slide in receiver and recovery ring. That seems more robust than something you snap in and out (maybe correctly, maybe not). Plus, it's a Class IV. No beating around the bush on capacity.

The only potential drawback is that it extends a bit from the rear bumper (shin buster) but I don't see that realistically being a problem.

Now all I have to decide is if I want to pay 10x more for the real/good one or cheap out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA