LR4 Transmission Fluid Change: Pan Swap Option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: it appears the Assenmacher AFTOY118 adapter might work to fill the ZF even though it is designated for Toyota/Lexus. What do you think?
I am a sucker for tools:)

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suspect most on here did what I did and just shoved whatever hose comes off their pump in (I have a mityvac similar to the one above). It does not go very far but if you have another person pumping slowly so it is not shooting out aggressively it should not be a problem, I had nothing but a few drops not go in.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just now realized the torque order shown in this wonderful write-up is totally different from the FSM page 2642. This is from the middle out and the FSM works from opposite corners in. Two different philosophies or what?

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
Actually, I have them both handy.

The document is for the 6 speed and is from the ZF Repair Manual.
The photo is for the 8 speed when I did the job a couple years ago.

The original reference is hard to locate quickly, but ZF wants them dis-assembled in reverse order to assembly, i.e. start at 21 or 13 depending on which one you are working on.

Attachments

• IMG_0966.JPG
    IMG_0966.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Torque Order.JPG
    Torque Order.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 10

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what my FSM shows:

Attachments

• IMG_0149.jpeg
    IMG_0149.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0150.jpeg
    IMG_0150.jpeg
    211 KB · Views: 11

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't know there was an order and I just got it up there with four corners (after it fell in my face and gave me a bloody lip) and then made sure you tightened it up evenly around the outside like lug nuts and mine is golden.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read the fill procedure but I cannot remember how many more quarts it will inhale when running the engine to thermostat open and shifting through the gears. 5 has brought me up to the fill port cold. It has been sitting a week. Will it take two more quarts?

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read the fill procedure but I cannot remember how many more quarts it will inhale when running the engine to thermostat open and shifting through the gears. 5 has brought me up to the fill port cold. It has been sitting a week. Will it take two more quarts?
It really depends on if you just did the pan swap or did anything else with the valve body. When I did the valve body Zipkit the tranny was open for a few days and lots more drained out than a quick pan swap. I used almost 7 full quarts but many who do a quick swap use much less. The fluid is very funny in that it takes it's sweet time leaking out of every cranny.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72