LR4 vs Defender

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep, yep, yep and yep to the last few posts. I am not a handraiser for the current jlr revised defender, but i certainly am for this. A real defender with enough manners to daily drive. Where do i sign.

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I wanted a Jeep I would buy one. We wanted an LR4 replacement, and although the cargo space is disappointing, the new Defender is absolutely amazing to drive. The new Defender combines off road capabilities with modern luxuries in a vehicle with solid towing abilities like no other vehicle on Earth. If that’s McGoverns doing, then I say well done (but I would like a little more cargo space)

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This Grenadier reminds me of when I first laid eyes on a LR3 for the first time in the flesh. I wanted one. This will be my last utility vehicle.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Grenadier looks and sounds great on paper, but it's a long time to a real finished product inside and out, and to actual customer deliveries - end of 2021 being the current estimate. Who will service it here in North America outside of major cities where Ineos dealers are likely to be located, BMW? It comes with a nice pedigree (Magna Steyr) but ultimately it'll be put together by a company that, until yesterday, was known for chemicals, not cars. It's great that there will be a new and more "traditional" choice for off-roaders in the future, but the Grenadier may remain a niche vehicle for a while, even if it's an incredible success and sells its estimated 25k units per year worldwide. To get to those numbers, soccer moms and city folks would have to like it too, there are only so many farmers and avid off-roaders with deep pockets out there.

Ford has got a huge opportunity to somewhat steal the thunder from the Grenadier if they nail the new Bronco being unveiled in less than 2 weeks - and unlike the Grenadier, it'll be available almost immediately and everywhere. A whole new Land Cruiser should also launch by 2021. It's an exciting time for those who like to off-road and overland, that's for sure.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The quality won't be any worse than a JLR product lol. Most of the components are off the shelf (BMW, ZF etc) so as long as they keep the electrics simple then it should be fine. Lots of moms seem to like the G Wagon so there is a market. The only concern is the 6 *** BMW engine. Perhaps this is where Fords new Elephant crate motor could step in..7.3L would be awesome in this.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To get to those numbers, soccer moms and city folks would have to like it too, there are only so many farmers and avid off-roaders with deep pockets out there.

Yeah, not buying that statement about Soccer moms. How many Brits to you think would line up for this? More than you can count after their beloved Land Rovers were carted off to India. I bet they have more interest in a day worldwide than the 25k planned run. 25k for a vehicle like this is a niche of the niches.

they are not selling Lambos here.

Additionally, as ktm25 stated, they've sourced the components and it's utilitarian. This is Tesla without having to figure out the d/t. stamp it out. Assemble, next. ladder frame reduces complexity, You can have a roller in a week. I too am not thrilled about the BMW engine, but love everything this looks to be.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be great if it is the B58 bmw makes for the Toyota supra. That thing is solid.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be great if it is the B58 bmw makes for the Toyota supra. That thing is solid.

As long as it doesn't have one of those dumb@$$ BMW shifters. Ugh. I heard they have a BMW tech school for owners...#missingthefrickinboat

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM