LR4 windshield replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[mention]Davidinseattle [/mention] yeah at the end of the day, it's between $350-$1700 depending on how cheap you go on the glass source and the installer quality. Crazy range. I haven't seen my final bill (which AAA is covering 100% thankfully) but am expecting it will be $1000 all in with the non-LR logo Pilkington glass + install time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks. Looks like we should go with a mainstream installer and get the Pilkington. We too have heated and rain sensors. If I did anything to muck up the rain sensor, I might be sleeping in the RV for a while. We've never used the heated windshield as it spends its nights in the garage. It's just one of those sucky repairs. Not your fault, don't get much but no longer have a crack and you pray you don't get another one quickly.

True story. I had the misfortune of losing the windshield on both of our cars at once. My wife was driving our van (no longer own) and I was following her in my car. The Semi ahead of her threw up a huge rock. One that you can see coming. It hit her high on the windshield near the roof line and cracked the windshield going down. The rock flew up over her roof and hit me right in the middle of the windshield leaving a crater. It was surreal.

At any rate, thanks all for the info. Time to get some quotes.

Cheers

thingsm3

Reaction score
EC92FFDE-209A-4CA4-8016-6FF16185CB0A.jpeg
Does anyone have a picture of the inside of a windshield that shows the rear view mirror and rain sensor wires? Wondering if wire is normally exposed. Got my window changed the other day by safelite and while the entire windshield looks good overall...I think so far there is exposed wire at the top of the windshield going from the rain sensor to the ceiling. The safelite tech said this is normal and he didn’t want to disrupt glue with the roof by tucking the wires further in. I can’t believe that’s the case. Having exposed wire sounds odd. Here’s a picture.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 11500 Does anyone have a picture of the inside of a windshield that shows the rear view mirror and rain sensor wires? Wondering if wire is normally exposed. Got my window changed the other day by safelite and while the entire windshield looks good overall...I think so far there is exposed wire at the top of the windshield going from the rain sensor to the ceiling. The safelite tech said this is normal and he didn’t want to disrupt glue with the roof by tucking the wires further in. I can’t believe that’s the case. Having exposed wire sounds odd. Here’s a picture.
Looks to me like the black sheath is no longer covering the yellow wires and the clamshell is maybe clipped on too far down tho I cannot see how it fits over the mask. Mine shows about 3/16 in of solid black at the bottom.
image.jpg

thingsm3

Reaction score
Looks to me like the black sheath is no longer covering the yellow wires and the clamshell is maybe clipped on too far down tho I cannot see how it fits over the mask. Mine shows about 3/16 in of solid black at the bottom. View attachment 11501

thanks for the reply! And the picture! These forums are amazing.

yah looks similar for the sheath. I wonder if I should try and fix that or Jsut cover the wires with electrical tape and move on in life.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having exposed wire sounds odd. Here’s a picture.

If you just can't unsee those exposed wires now (I wouldn't be able to either), then try using some tweezers to pull the sheath out a bit and rewrap the bundle, or bust out the tried and true Sharpie and start coloring.

jagmandan

Reaction score
For my '08 LR3, I called the local dealer to inquire about which glass shop they used. Then filed an insurance claim (I have glass coverage) and requested that shop. When coordinating with the shop, I requested LR glass. Amazingly it all went through with no questions. Two very knowledgeable techs came out to my house and installed the new glass perfectly with new clips and all. $0 out of pocket. YMMV but try to do it that way! I was stoked. Doubt I can repeat that feat next time but I will for sure try.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you think about perhaps it is the best techs on the mobile service. The ones they are unsure about still need supervision back at the shop. Dunno but it sounds like it worked for you.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA