LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New Discovery looks like another typical crossover that will blend-in with all the others that have that jellybean shape. They already made the RRS look like an Explorer, so why not keep the unique LR3/LR4 big-box shape? Look at what Jeep has done with the Wrangler design...evolved over many years but you immediately recognize the design as a Wrangler regardless of what year it was built.

I guess I'll keep stockpiling 2013 LR4's in my garage.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are not alone about preferring outgoing models.

A friend just traded in his 3-year-old Honda Pilot to get the last year of the square corner Pilot. He wanted no part of the new Pilot that looks like a CR-V on steroids.

I know two other people that just ordered an Audi Q7 before the new one comes out. That new Q7 is really hideous. Pretty sad when people are scrambling to buy a design that 8 years old instead of a new design.

phil1ben

Reaction score
We picked up our new LR4 a few weeks ago. We were between the Range Rover and LR4. The "sporty" design of the RRS was not for us. Decided on the LR4 because we saw the new model which the OP posted and decided to keep the extra 50K in the bank. If the goal of the new design is to push more people to the Range Rover I think they have succeeded.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are not alone about preferring outgoing models.

A friend just traded in his 3-year-old Honda Pilot to get the last year of the square corner Pilot. He wanted no part of the new Pilot that looks like a CR-V on steroids.

I know two other people that just ordered an Audi Q7 before the new one comes out. That new Q7 is really hideous. Pretty sad when people are scrambling to buy a design that 8 years old instead of a new design.

I'm with you, Paul, having learned that hard way. Nearly 2 years ago I purchased one of the first MY14 Acura MDXs. Foolishly I didn't do research and assumed the MDX would continue to be an adequate vehicle for back roads - better than our Lexus RX350. I was wrong. Not only had the shape changed, but they had lowered the ground clearance by an inch. And then there were numerous issues.
- Some of the issues were software bugs that could be corrected. But auto makers have a long way to go to understand software, how it relates to hardware and the importance of being able to easily fix the software.
- Many of the issues were design changes that they won't be able to fix until the 3rd or later MY for that new model. From an absurdly confusing, dual-screen, soft button user interface for Nav/Infotainment to a Voice Command system that was so bad we used it as entertainment on long road trips to a drivers seat that belongs in a car, not an SUV. Don't get me wrong. They did a lot of things well. A rear cargo area where everything behind the front seats goes completely flat, very good gas mileage, handles great on pavement, good use of storage/convenience, electronic "safety" features like adaptive cruise and lane-keeper-assist. And over time they will fix some of the design miscues and software bugs. But it had clearly become a very different vehicle than the former MDX models - for better or worse.

Whatever the new Discovery is it will be a very different vehicle. And there will be growing pains, design miscues and bugs for the first couple of years.

There is a lot to be said for purchasing a vehicle that has been improved through experience!

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have read, Audi is using that same recipe to create the next Q7. Lower ground clearance, car platform that is lighter but far less rugged with zero offroad ability. And ugly:

nf-q7_zpsvpy4wl6o.jpg

Last edited:

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last paragraph of the article you posted makes mention of a start price in line with the Discovery Sport not a full size Discovery or LR5.
In person the prototype looks mean enough even though more urban/ stylish looking.
Also this article does not point out any real facts at all.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there is a huge amount of speculation in this article. I would argue that it is irresponsible speculation. (Reminds of the sort of rumor mill that surrounds Apple products.)

angelboing

Reaction score
i believe that the concept car posted earlier morphed into what's now known as the discovery sport (formerly the LR2). i'm hoping that the upcoming discovery/LR5 retains the upright stance, interior volume and off-road chops of the current model.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i believe that the concept car posted earlier morphed into what's now known as the discovery sport (formerly the LR2). i'm hoping that the upcoming discovery/LR5 retains the upright stance, interior volume and off-road chops of the current model.

I agree. I've sat in the Sport. It looks very much like the concept car on the outside. But "normal" doors. Inside is familiar. Middle row can be slid forward/backward a bit. The cargo area floor does not go completely flat. A 3rd row of "child" seats.

My lead service rep has seen the info on the new Discovery. He couldn't show me pics or tell me when it would be available. But he described it as a longer, wider, taller version of the sport. With a cargo/seating area that retains the capabilities of the current LR4. That was all he would say.

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change is tough. I LOOOVE the LR4 but the new big Discovery is growing on me. Im sure it will look very close to the concept. In the end it will have more mass appeal. The current LR4 looks are polarizing. I love it, my wife hates it. My FIL likes it, my MIL hates it. etc, etc.
Ive showed everyone the Disco Vision concept (pictured in above article) and guess what?? EVERYONE likes it....alot. So it makes business sense to go in that direction. For those who think its a disaster, well, to put it nicely, I think youre wrong. But I understand that seeing a model that is so loved by the true enthusiasts change so much is tough to swallow.

For die hard LR4 guys, The good news is...I'm willing to bet there will be low milage used models around for some time to come.

If you must have your boxy fix, well, Defender will be here soon enough. Which will most likely be the 3rd model in the Discovery line? Maybe its own line?....Exactly what it'll look like is anyone's guess though??

Tough times ahead are a real possibilty for LR/RR purists. But exciting times are ahead for LR/RR. They are going to gain a whole new audience while retaining most of their current fans IMHO.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut