LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just dumb luck I bought my 2013 V8 when I did. I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon! :)

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tough times ahead are a real possibilty for LR/RR purists. But exciting times are ahead for LR/RR. They are going to gain a whole new audience while retaining most of their current fans IMHO.

Retain "most" current fans? No, not at all. Will they gain more than the loose? Probably. , but they will certainly loose more of the people who thought they were awesome in terms of design during the years leading up to recently.

These new models pretty much suck in too many ways. They are either not tough enough or too goofy with only partial areas of great design. For example, the RRS is really a lot better inside than previously. Previously you just paid a lot more for what was basically an LR3, then 4. Too much inside was essentially just as crappy, just fine in reality, but also kind of crappy based on the price point. The NEw RRS is pretty darn slick in it's own right, finally.

The RR is nice as hell inside, beautiful outside, but too delicate in some ways compared to the mid 90's. The brake size has gotten totally out of hand such that totally stupid tires are all that will fit now.

FYI, simply making the brake rotors larger is a cheap way to improve braking, therefore I think it's such a huge joke on consumers who now can't really fully utilize the awesome capabilities simply due to goofy huge wheels an low profile tires.

There's nothing unclassy or unsexy in an 18" wheel with serious tires on a $120,000 vehicle out on the town after being out sightseeing along rough tracks for a day.

I've bought the 1996 Disco, then new Supercharged RR, then in the same year a 2004 Disco because I saw the design changing in a creepy way and found my favorite color combo in low miles, then a new 07 LR3.

I may get a 2013 LR4, but it will now be the newest Land Rover I ever buy hence forward which is sad considering what the brand presented itself as for so long. Most likely it will be Toyota Land Cruiser or Mercedes G in my future.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...My lead service rep has seen the info on the new Discovery. He couldn't show me pics or tell me when it would be available. But he described it as a longer, wider, taller version of the sport. With a cargo/seating area that retains the capabilities of the current LR4. That was all he would say.

That's good info, thanks. So, hopefully that means fold flat seating at a minimum. Tailgate would be nice. I think somewhere they mentioned a stupid little ass tray that slides out for sitting on but that's not the same thing.

From what I have read, Audi is using that same recipe to create the next Q7. Lower ground clearance, car platform that is lighter but far less rugged with zero offroad ability. And ugly:

View attachment 5310

Holy crap that is an $80,000 station wagon! My wife has a Q5 and I admired the current Q7 at the dealerships. I can see why Audi fans are scrambling for the current model...

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's good info, thanks. So, hopefully that means fold flat seating at a minimum. Tailgate would be nice. I think somewhere they mentioned a stupid little ass tray that slides out for sitting on but that's not the same thing.

They showed that in the concept vehicle. I'm with you. I'm not simply looking for something to sit on. I use it to stand on when working with luggage on the rack. I use it as a table when camping or doing other adventures.

Oh, and the "design queue" of the asymmetrical rear window needs to be an actual asymmetrical window. What we have on the LR models is not only for looks. When I back into a parking space (I always back into my garage) having that additional visibility in the right, rear is very useful.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and the "design queue" of the asymmetrical rear window needs to be an actual asymmetrical window. What we have on the LR models is not only for looks. When I back into a parking space (I always back into my garage) having that additional visibility in the right, rear is very useful.

I like both the utility and the overall "LR-ness" of the LR4's asymmetrical tail setup.

On a related note, Dan I had to laugh a little when you mentioned backing into a space and needing that sight line. I was a die-hard hater of backup cameras when they first appeared on the scene. I remember having one in my '07 RR and never using it; preferring my mirrors and craning my head backwards to see where my @ss-end was headed. I was downright curmudgeonly about it.

Now I use it routinely. We had friends over the other night and our driveway and parking areas were crammed with cars. I needed to move one so my son could get out so I grabbed the owner's keys. It was a BMW x5 (maybe x3) and it didn't have a camera. Yes we had gotten into the ***** (I was in my own private driveway, relax everyone) and I remember thinking "who the hell doesn't have a backup camera these days???!!!" I had to laugh at myself at how reliant I had become on them.

It was still a bit of an adventure getting that Bimmer moved into a new spot, not gonna lie... :proud:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Retain "most" current fans? No, not at all. Will they gain more than the loose? Probably. , but they will certainly loose more of the people who thought they were awesome in terms of design during the years leading up to recently.

These new models pretty much suck in too many ways. They are either not tough enough or too goofy with only partial areas of great design. For example, the RRS is really a lot better inside than previously. Previously you just paid a lot more for what was basically an LR3, then 4. Too much inside was essentially just as crappy, just fine in reality, but also kind of crappy based on the price point. The NEw RRS is pretty darn slick in it's own right, finally.

The RR is nice as hell inside, beautiful outside, but too delicate in some ways compared to the mid 90's. The brake size has gotten totally out of hand such that totally stupid tires are all that will fit now.

FYI, simply making the brake rotors larger is a cheap way to improve braking, therefore I think it's such a huge joke on consumers who now can't really fully utilize the awesome capabilities simply due to goofy huge wheels an low profile tires.

There's nothing unclassy or unsexy in an 18" wheel with serious tires on a $120,000 vehicle out on the town after being out sightseeing along rough tracks for a day.

I've bought the 1996 Disco, then new Supercharged RR, then in the same year a 2004 Disco because I saw the design changing in a creepy way and found my favorite color combo in low miles, then a new 07 LR3.

I may get a 2013 LR4, but it will now be the newest Land Rover I ever buy hence forward which is sad considering what the brand presented itself as for so long. Most likely it will be Toyota Land Cruiser or Mercedes G in my future.
You and I have talked about this offline quite a bit and agree on things... What year Land Cruiser would you get? I still have a soft spot in my heart for the G.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FinlayForPrez,
I don't want to clog this thread with all that so We can start a thread for people to post ridiculous responses in or just email directly ;)

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too am fascinated by the G. Guess it's an old concept with a ridiculously high price?

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I see some of your points, LOL! Like I said, change is hard and welcome to the 21rst century. As a new guy looking in, from what I can tell about the LR/RR community is that they are pretty darn loyal. You'll either come around, or you wont. I will be surprised if you didn't in the end.
Even if not, I really think LR/RR will gain alot of new buyers with their new direction in the Discovery line, and the few purists who cant or wont accept the change will be weeded out. But before you run for the Toyotey or G-Wagon, stick around and see what actually comes.
I'm causiously optimistic about the Defender. They HAVE to do it right. They have a chance to make a real winner. We'll see.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA