LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

horns

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics umbertob. Will be interested to see if the brakes have been redesigned for longer life. Soccer moms won't pay 1800 for a brake change every 25k on the minivan

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umberto, thanks for great pictures.
Is this just me or the 2nd row seat do not fold completely flat???
And what is going on with those bolsters when a seat is folded down?
Overall it is a nice vehicle.
My only problem with it is the name. Like I mention in the past it has nothing in common with past discoveries. Thank you land rover but I am keeping my LR4 forever.

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They do fold flat, but not by "default". After they are lowered down at the preset (a bit of an incline is still present), you can press and hold the "fold" button one more time, and the backrest will flatten another inch or two against the cushion to make a flat surface with the trunk floor and folded third row seats... Took me a while to figure it out last night as well, the booth staff standing around had no clue about almost anything besides cosmetic stuff. I think I posted a photo or two showing the tan second row seat from the side, "extra squished" to flat position. Probably not good for the leather and padding material in the long run, which is why that's not the default folding position of the second row.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone mentioned they knew someone who tried the new towing features. Given my interest in towing I saw this TFL video on youtube from the LA Auto show. Among the new features to help with towing is the ability to use the "terrain response" knob and the camera system/display to steer while backing up the trailer. Actually very cool. Of course, there was not "test drive" of actual towing but backing up is a hassle in just about any vehicle and this technology could be helpful. Here is the youtube link:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umberto, the Nav display appears rather "short" to me from the pictures (from top to bottom). Clearly it is much wider but it doesn't seem to be any taller. Did it seem that way to you?

As for the 2nd row folding flat, you do have a picture that seems to show that.

It also appears that there is some serious bolstering in the front seats - which I like.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I missing something? What's with all of the 5V sockets? Isn't everything supposed to be run off a 12V system?

Looks just as soccer mom as the press photos. Guess we wait for the Defender reboot.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Dan, the screen is definitely taller than the current one, but not by much, maybe an inch if I had to guess? It is about twice as wide though, with much crisper resolution. For Land Rover, that's a technological quantum leap... The nav and infotainment software appear to be on par with other premim imports, finally. Only took what, 10 years?

Don't have a photo of all the seats folded flat I'm afraid, but trust me, they do. And yes, the front seats (even the passenger's) have much more pronounced bolsters that can be electrically inflated or deflated (along with the lumbar support) to really coddle you pretty good. They are very comfy and supportive. The arm rests, on the other hand, look a lot flimsier than in the current model, and seem a bit narrower too.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dump of photos of the new Disco I took at the L.A. Auto Show last night....
https://umbertob.smugmug.com/Cars/2017-New-Discovery/

Great pics. Thanks! So tell us, how was the event bench in the back in comparison to the current tailgate?

Here is a video that I just came across which walks through the features better than anything I've seen to date;

Between your pics and that video, there are several things I like! And some big ones I don't...

Man, I don't like all the high glosss black in the interior. Looks like a constant chore to clean off fingerprints and dust.

The swing out trailer hitch.... 1) it looks like a big swing out **** behind the truck but more importantly 2) is there no longer a hitch receiver?!?
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck! That may be a deal breaker. How do we accommodate receiver mounted bike racks and trays? Are they no longer an option?

50psi rear tire pressure? Damn that's high. Airing down and back up for sand driving is going to take longer. I have 19" wheels now, maybe that's a side affect of 20" wheels.

Do you think the true fold flat feature is available even if you don't have the electronic remote folding? I hope so.

Are the sunroofs larger than the LR3/LR4 windows? Looks like it. That'd be nice.

Did they confirm when the beast is available for order?

Thanks for any answers you can provide!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The swing-down bench seat is... comfortable, I guess? Honestly, unlike many of you I am not a diehard fan of the 2-piece tailgate of the LR4. Yeah, stuff doesn't rolls off the trunk when I open the upper section only. It's a convenient and sturdy ledge to sit and do productive stuff on. But I don't put anything on my roof, so I don't need to stand on it. The lower tailgate makes it a long stretch to reach stuff stored near the far end of the trunk, whether you leave it open or closed. More latches that can jam and rattle... The new deployable bench seems like it will be a good substitute for my needs. Although the one-piece tailgate is indeed quite a superstructure when fully raised (you can program it to raise less than all the way up if you have limited overhead clearance.) It opens and closes quite quickly.

I am kinda hoping the glossy black surface is just an optional interior trim finish (gloss black is optional on the current LR4, soo...) It is indeed a nasty fingerprint magnet, as my photos show. It looks great when it is clean - which happes, like, never on a demo car such as those on display at the show. Don't know much about trailer hitches, sorry. As far as I know, all LR4s will include remote / electric seats folding, so fold flat should hopefully be a standard feature on all trims. Finally, there are only 2 sunroofs on the new Disco, but they are larger than the 3 on the LR4. Not sure if the photos show that well enough. The front sunroof only can be opened fully or in vent position (at least on the HSE Lux models on display at the show), and a blind - rather than a perforated sunshade - can be deployed electrically on both to completely block sunlight.

I asked about availability, the staff there could only say "End of May". As I mentioned already, they had very little hard info outside of which colors will be available... They didn't even have brochures for the new Disco.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo