Maximum Gradients

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of quick questions about the maximum gradients on the official LR3 specs[1]

1. The ascent/descent gradients are list as 35°/35° "continuous" and 45°/45° "drive through." I guess I read this as "the max is 35° if you're going to be going ascending/descending for more than a 'little bit', 45° otherwise." Is there a better definition of "continuous" and "drive through"

2. The side slope max gradient is listed as 35° continuous. When I did the off-road course at the dealership I swear the salesman told me it was 45°, and I'm pretty sure he told me the side slope we did on the course was 37° or 38°. What is accurate?

[1] http://apps.us.landrover.com/future/downloads/specs/lr3_specs.pdf

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The real number is probably a few degrees higher than 45 on both ascent/descent and side slopes. But Land Rover will never tell you the real limit - the don't want the liability and there are so many variables involved, speed, terrain type, etc - it's understandable why. Their advertised numbers are definitely conservative, but your salesperson was right. I have found myself on a few side slopes at over 45° angle with my Sport (according to my Lev-O-Gauge, which doesn't go any higher...), and it was not a pleasant feeling! But I never flipped.

Last edited:

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't recall the #'s but I do remember that continuous refers to 'a period time', meaning you could leave it at XX* for an undetermined period of time. The other # is for short periods. What's the difference? Drivetrain damage. You can follow through 45* or whatever the # is, but if you kept it there for a while, eventually the oil system won't keep up as it needs to pump oil and have it drain back down, and it's going to have oil pool in corners and crevices that weren't an issue @ 0*, and eventually you end up in a deficeit situation.

Real world on side slope? Those #'s are based on a flat slope. Everywhere I wheel, there is always a hole or bump, or the slope is assymmetrical and so on. Use #s like these with caution!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This feedback is spot on. The numbes published by Land Rover are a.) conservative and b.) addressing the engine/drivetrain performance more than the CG/flopping aspect.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going up or down 45 is pretty steep:
117587039_SAn2C-XL.jpg

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah...you wouldn't wanna get going fast (15 mph+) and then slam the brakes real hard!!!

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could not get the pic cropped -sorry.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boaz...are you turning uphill in that pic?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99