Maxing Out Off-Road Ability on 19" Wheels (yep, tires again)

ezod98

New Member
Joined
May 3, 2015
Posts
3
Reaction score
2
It’s XL on the 19”, but LT on the 18”. Strange but that’s what it is for the Toyos
 

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2020
Posts
589
Reaction score
299
Location
11743
The load rating isn't inspiring. It's less than an XL, which I'd want at an absolute minimum.

good point. kind of late now since they are ordered, ill hope for the best. i overlooked the XL rating and saw the load range of 109 exceeded the GVWR, so figured i was good to go.
its a shame as I see the 255/55/19 meets the LR4 requirements, but the 255/60/19 doesnt. i simply went with the latter since it gained me more sidewall. in hindsight, i should have went with the 255/55/19 as i wouldn't need more sidewall since it is stronger.

this truck will be taken on roads/snow 95% of the time and dirt roads/flat trails/beaches the other 5%. assuming im not pinching sidewalls with rocks, maybe the reinforced sidewall strength wont make a difference.
 

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Posts
1,401
Reaction score
527
Location
Boston
I'm running the Falken Wildpeak AT Trail on my LR4 and love them after 10K miles. They replaced a set of Cooper Zeons that got louder and louder as they wore.

They are quiet on the road and work great in sand. From my experience, a more aggressive tread tire tends to dig in sand rather than float while a pure street tire lacks traction in sand. These are a perfect compromise.

I run Nokian winter tires so I have not tried them in snow or on ice. Looks like quite a few sipes in the tread, so I bet they are good in winter. Traction isn't a problem with an LR4, it's all about turning and stopping all that weight in slippery conditions.

I thought these tires were great in rain and my wife recently remarked they are amazing in rain. Last month she was driving her mom to surgery in NYC in my LR4 through the remnants of a tropical storm. It was raining so hard that many cars were pulling over to the shoulder but she kept going through the badly flooded LIE. She said water was constantly splashing up over the front of the hood and windshield but to her surprise no hydroplaning.

She has 20" Michelin Defender tires on her LR4 and thinks my Falkens are better in rain
 
Last edited:

m_lars

Full Access Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2017
Posts
175
Reaction score
81
Location
Utah
good point. kind of late now since they are ordered, ill hope for the best. i overlooked the XL rating and saw the load range of 109 exceeded the GVWR, so figured i was good to go.
its a shame as I see the 255/55/19 meets the LR4 requirements, but the 255/60/19 doesnt. i simply went with the latter since it gained me more sidewall. in hindsight, i should have went with the 255/55/19 as i wouldn't need more sidewall since it is stronger.

this truck will be taken on roads/snow 95% of the time and dirt roads/flat trails/beaches the other 5%. assuming im not pinching sidewalls with rocks, maybe the reinforced sidewall strength wont make a difference.
It’s a bit of a misconception that a higher load rating is “stronger”. Yes, it carries more weight, but it’s not necessarily more cut or pinch proof. I live nestled in between the Wasatch and Uinta mountains of Utah and deal with a lot of sharp, pointy rocks. In my research the Wildpeak has a good off roadable sidewall, where as (in my experience) the E load rated Duratrac cuts like paper. My only reason for not running the Wildpeak myself is I wanted a more aggressive tire, though the winter rating is so appealing. Short story long, I think you’ll be just fine with what you ordered.
 

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2020
Posts
589
Reaction score
299
Location
11743
to anyone that has a full size spare, mounted in the factory location....how far down does it hang from the rear bumper?

i swapped my donut size for a full size and there is now about 1.5" of tread exposed/hanging below the rear bumper. the tire seems to be tightened all the way up and tucked up nicely at the exhaust side. just want to make sure this is normal.

FYI, i have 255/60/19 tires (including spare), slightly larger diameter than OEM. the spare had to be mostly deflated to fit in the stock location.
 

rolledover

Active Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2019
Posts
40
Reaction score
30
Location
Fremont, MI
to anyone that has a full size spare, mounted in the factory location....how far down does it hang from the rear bumper?

i swapped my donut size for a full size and there is now about 1.5" of tread exposed/hanging below the rear bumper. the tire seems to be tightened all the way up and tucked up nicely at the exhaust side. just want to make sure this is normal.

FYI, i have 255/60/19 tires (including spare), slightly larger diameter than OEM. the spare had to be mostly deflated to fit in the stock location.


I've not measured it but that seems completely normal.
 

CompassRT

Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2020
Posts
13
Reaction score
9
Location
Oregon
I’ve have the Toyo Open Country ATIII in 255/60/19 for a few weeks and took them over some forest service roads in Washington and Oregon.

They’re pretty fantastic. Quiet on the highway, they track straight as an arrow and feel confident on the mild off-road trails I’ve been on . I don’t rock crawl and have no plans to. Definitely, an upgrade over my Nokia WRG3 SUV. And equally comfortable on road.

7b90bfbb41acd707c865cb4016a9fd56.jpg

b4844215bfb09279410b89f641f8f31b.jpg

Is this at stock ride height? Still like them? I'm considering either the TOYOs or Duratracs for my next set.
 

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2006
Posts
618
Reaction score
193
...She said water was constantly splashing up over the front of the hood and windshield but to her surprise no hydroplaning.

This no hydroplaning is largely owed to the near 6000 LBs of IBF' heft with its low center of gravity, something that pretty much all of your average internet car reviewing pundits scoff at as they get into an LR3/4 for review right after they have reviewed the featherweight Honda CRV, expecting the LR3/4 to behave and handle like a unibody CUV that they have just reviewed with its memory still fresh in their minds.

Even with their ****** stock rubber (the Goodyear and the Conti here in NA), I would have to do something really stupid to get my '06 LR3 and the '13/'16 LR4 (even with its by-design firmer suspension setup) to get either of them to hydroplane. But my LR3 definitely felt more planted, confidence inspiring, and stable in heavy downpours

LR3/4 were designed to not flinch in downpours, snow storms, crosswinds, etc. The thing was built solid, of course minus the continuing-to-this-day LR legacy of the always looming fear and possibility of the components failing at any time. And thats where a CRV would have an LR3/4 any day :)
 
Last edited:

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2018
Posts
612
Reaction score
283
Location
Charlotte, NC
Or, if you are brave, those Chinese Atturos.

I did the atturos and liked the aggressive look and have done some pretty hefty rock trails. They performed well and no issues with sidewall. I made the mistake of pulling the trigger on some that were just over $400 on eBay, brand new. Priority tire sold them and they are from 2015...I didn’t read the fine print. Penny wise and pound foolish. I’ve had three of the four tires fail (two of them separated and one blew a belt). I’ve now replaced the 2015 atturos with 2019 and only time will tell. They are load rated, but wondering with tire age and the weight of the truck, it was just too much for these tires.

I would stay away from them next time. I was on continental terrain contacts and would go back to those if I stayed with the 19”. Seriously considering going to an 18” setup though...
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
35,555
Posts
209,724
Members
29,803
Latest member
Sandy007
Top