Misfire Cylinder 5 - Advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys, the leak down test doesn’t lie! Looks like pretty good compression on most of the cylinders, but cylinder 5 is DEAD. TDC shows about 10psi at 100psi pressure and heavy air leak through the exhaust. Looks like we got a burned exhaust valve! Time to break out the pocketbook.

Well at least you know what you are dealing with. You also have some extra spare parts for the future (injectors lol). This must have been an auction vehicle? The way you got the original injector out was the clue that someone was in there trying to solve it, couldn't and buttoned it back up and off to the auction block.

Keep us updated and good luck.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as you have the engine torn apart, you may want to do the timing chains and guides, too.

ihawkr

Reaction score
Got quoted $4k by a couple of shops for a single-side head rebuild. Youch! Most shops said they would lift the body off the frame to do the work for easier access. Anyone have any ideas if this sounds like the "going rate" for a job like this? Trying to decide to sell the truck "as is" and break even on it or repair it and drive it for a bit. It's a very clean truck but I don't have a ton of attachment to it as I buy and sell a lot of vehicles.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone else on here pulled the engine from the top side too, I believe it was on the supercharged LR4 that someone’s trying to make.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got quoted $4k by a couple of shops for a single-side head rebuild. Youch! Most shops said they would lift the body off the frame to do the work for easier access. Anyone have any ideas if this sounds like the "going rate" for a job like this? Trying to decide to sell the truck "as is" and break even on it or repair it and drive it for a bit. It's a very clean truck but I don't have a ton of attachment to it as I buy and sell a lot of vehicles.

Where did this vehicle come from? There was another white one where the owner was tearing the engine apart and then he stopped posting early in the year. I wonder if he buttoned it up and you bought it? I think he was in Colorado.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA