My issues of the LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P

pemarsh

Test drove a couple LR3's today...and really love them...but there are several things we did not like.

1. no rear view camera
2. No solid sunshade for sunroofs---even with net pulled over, kids and wife were complaining that it was annoying with sun coming though and getting too warm.
3. no front seat head rest dvd option
4. windshield "wires" of heating package are distracting
5. No easy way to operate 3rd row seats if you have two car seats in the 2nd row (our sales person actually could not do it). Only option is doing it from the back---but once you get one all done, the 2nd is even more impossible.
6. Lack of power---was hoping this had more get-up-and-go.
7. Reliability seems to be an issue unfortunately.
8. A whine when you let off the accelerator (already posted this on a seperate post).
9. If you fold the 2nd row middle seat flat down, there is a five inch gap between it and the 3rd row folded seats. Huge issue with a dog and getting his legs caught in there, or having small packages fall in between. This gap disappears if the you elevate the seat...but then its not flush with the rest of the folded seats. Platform we were told we could use...but we cant fold the other 2nd row seats down due to child seats in them.

Anyones thoughts and opinions welcome please.

Wayfarer

Reaction score
God I hate rear view cameras and the "sonar" too. Just facilitates people that lack the ability to drive large vehicles to actually drive one. I figure 9 out of 10 Escalade drivers are unsafe steering a shopping cart.

Anyways, do not buy or lease this vehicle. Why would you with that laundry list? Two car seats and DVD in the front head rests....you need a soccer mom vehicle my friend. I agree about the power but otherwise I am thinking you would be happier in a Lexus or Escalade.

Cheers

P

pbrover

pemarsh said:
Test drove a couple LR3's today...and really love them...but there are several things we did not like.

1. no rear view camera
2. No solid sunshade for sunroofs---even with net pulled over, kids and wife were complaining that it was annoying with sun coming though and getting too warm.
3. no front seat head rest dvd option
4. windshield "wires" of heating package are distracting
5. No easy way to operate 3rd row seats if you have two car seats in the 2nd row (our sales person actually could not do it). Only option is doing it from the back---but once you get one all done, the 2nd is even more impossible.
6. Lack of power---was hoping this had more get-up-and-go.
7. Reliability seems to be an issue unfortunately.
8. A whine when you let off the accelerator (already posted this on a seperate post).
9. If you fold the 2nd row middle seat flat down, there is a five inch gap between it and the 3rd row folded seats. Huge issue with a dog and getting his legs caught in there, or having small packages fall in between. This gap disappears if the you elevate the seat...but then its not flush with the rest of the folded seats. Platform we were told we could use...but we cant fold the other 2nd row seats down due to child seats in them.

Anyones thoughts and opinions welcome please.

1. I would love to have, but I am not going to Lexus/Toyota - Fact
2. Got Hot..must have been a long test drive. I drove mine on a 3,000 mile road trip from Monterey Ca to Boise Id to McCall ID to Yellowstone to Grand Tetons and back to Monterey (In July). I have 3 kids in back row and nobody complained. I think you are your family were assuming this would happen in the summer - Hype.
3. I agree would like to have. Even with custom install the screens would be tiny. On this forum or another forum somebody did have this done by a custom installer. - Fact
4. They were only were distracting becuase you noticed this and assumed they would be distracting. I have had the cold package on my Discovery II (over 6 years), and I only have noticed them when I think about them. Well I do have two friends who have windshield wiper phobia (I am serious) so if you fall into that category then run away fast. - Hype
5. I have 3 kids under 8 in third row. Only one them is in car seat the others are in booster seats. You could access by folding flat the center seat and crawl over the folder flat center seat. Aren't you going to have this problem with any SUV (i.e. non mini vehicle)with two car seats attached the outside seats on the second row? Somebody actually decided to take the center seat out to solve this problem. Just put one of the car seats in the middle (yes you can stretch its not that hard) and leave an outside seat on the second row for 3rd row access. How often will you really use the 3rd row when your kids are at child seat age (car pooling does not start until kindergarten)...not that much? - Hype
6. Power is fine for all situations, but then again I am not a power ******, hell I fell like I am driving a rocketship after driving a Disco II since 1999. - Hype
7. Reliability has not been issue for me. Hell I even purchased a 2005 first year prodution model. Yes Lexus/Toyota and even other brands have fewer off the show room floor issues, but it can all be addressed with your warranty. If you are the type that justs wants to start the car and put gas in it and get psychotic if you have to visit a dealer then this will be a "fact" for you, but for other people hype - Fact/Hype
8. I have 21,000 miles on mine, I have no idea what this is (yes I read the other post). I have been reading the boards for 2 years and and I don't remember a "whine" issue being discussed except for your "test drive" and the most recent post. - Hype
9. I know the gap. My gosh get some small piece of plywood made - Major Hype.

Last edited by a moderator:

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PEMarsh, you need a different vehicle. To enjoy the LR3, you have to want one. You sound more like you enjoy the idea of having a 7 seater SUV, not particularly a Land Rover. If these are the nits to pick on, you will never be satisfied. I suggest a Nissan Armada LE. I have both the LR3 and the Armada. The Armada rear seats are easy to access and operate, there is a phenomenal amount of power, it has DVD options, rear camera, rear sonar, fantastic nav system, more second seat legroom than any other vehicle on the road.

Our 2006 Armada has been very reliable, just as the later LR3's have been, but the 2004/05 Armada's have a number of issues and I would stay away from them.

I wouldn't take my Armada nearly anywhere my LR3 enjoys going, and it is by no means as nimble, but it is a decent highway cruiser and though it doesn't turn as sharp as the LR3, it is navigable in a parking lot.

Z

zdas04

Good response pbrover. On number 9, the tonneau cover fits perfectly into that gap.

David

C

Cat

Don't buy it...By the way, class move to come on this forum & trash the vehicle we all drive... but with that kinda' class, I understand why the LR may not be a fit for ya'...

luis_wilhelm

Reaction score
Hello,

Invision as headrest DVDs in case you are still considering it. I saw an LR3 in the neighborhood with actually 4 sets, 2 for the middle row and two smaller ones (at least they seemed to be) for the 3rd row. Go figure!

Cheers every one during the holidays!
LW

dbregman

Reaction score
RE: #8 I too have hear the LR whine - and it was coming from Pemarsh

For the sake of the rest of us, please do not buy a LR3. If you are this dis-inclinded (as your message suggests) then why even consider it?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9