Mystery Rear Locker ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay.... Was off-roading today and noticed the 4x4 info screen when in low range shows a center locker and a REAR locker. I know the rear locker comes in the HD package, but as far as I know, my 2010 doesn't have the HD package. My spare tire is just a donut... Can anyone else with a 2010 non-HD put theirs into low range and see if the screen shows a rear locker?

asaqevyg.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the older years had the lock icon, but it would not turn red/orange ever if you didnt have the locker, it will just stay green.

Did you notice it change color at all? I know the UI is different than my 13. On mine, I see it go orange/red with a little 3 segment indicator around the outside showing how far it is locking. It is really easy to see the center and rear lock by just putting it in snow mode.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to note, i think the newer years dont have the icon at all anymore if you dont have the diff.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks MBW. Unfortunately I didn't leave it on that screen while playing and forgot to see if the icon was changing colors or doing anything. So if I put it in snow mode, should they automatically lock up?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also need to turn on the screen and learn more about it, but I know in snow mode, when you take off from a stop you can get it to engage a little and then it unlocks. Makes some sense, they want you to be locked up a bit to get a good launch.

I am sure that awesome hill you were climbing would lock it up in grass gravel, mud ruts or rock crawl.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also need to turn on the screen and learn more about it, but I know in snow mode, when you take off from a stop you can get it to engage a little and then it unlocks. Makes some sense, they want you to be locked up a bit to get a good launch.

I am sure that awesome hill you were climbing would lock it up in grass gravel, mud ruts or rock crawl.

I'll have to try that... And yes, of course! Today I was switching between mud/ruts and rockcrawl, and totally forgot to check out that screen to see what was/wasn't locking up. If it wasn't an hour away, I'd go back right now just to see! Hopefully someone else with a 2010 non-HD can chime in and tell whether or not the 4x4 screen shows a rear locker!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember that the display on the LR3 and 06-09 RRS used to have a rear locker icon as well, whether you had the HD pack or not. The difference was in the way the icon "behaved", basically staying green (open) all the time regardless of what the center diff icon was doing. On my locked RRS, the icon would actually turn red or green depending on its real-time condition and independently of the center diff icon.

Perhaps they decided to remove that icon on non-locked models starting with the redesigned infotainment introduced on MY2012s and newer, so as not to confuse people and to make it easier to tell a model with HD from one without... With the LR3, unless you knew the build specs the only way to be sure was to slide under the car to see if you could spot the actuator wiring sticking out of the rear diff case.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That makes sense umbertob. I would like to think I have a rear locker... but I think it's too good to be true- haha. Still waiting for official confirmation from a 2010-2011 owner. Anybody??

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That makes sense umbertob. I would like to think I have a rear locker... but I think it's too good to be true- haha. Still waiting for official confirmation from a 2010-2011 owner. Anybody??

Got the same icon. No locker and never seen it locked sadly. I was all excited too when I saw it for the first time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9