Need -40 Celsius/Fahrenheit condition advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

a517458

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the block heater, I know what it is, but...it is like a E.T. here in Southern California. .Where can I get those things?

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A block heater would be nice, but not totally needed. I lived in Alaska for 5 years and I never once plugged my Tahoe in and never once had a problem with it starting. There was a week in the winter of 98-99 where the temperature didn't get above -50 deg F. I made it to work every day.

a517458

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another question for the tire.
Is Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter worth buying? they are $985 on easy includes shipping...Do I still need chains on winter tires?

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
Regarding the block heater, I'll defer to EIGHTLUG's experience. However, I did an internet search for "LR4 block heater" and what I found is that lots of used Land Rovers in northern latitudes have them. If you want one, I recommend you get it through the dealer and have them install it.

About that magnetic block heater you referenced: as you mentioned, there's the skid plate under the car to contend with. Also, I think the oil pan is aluminum or other non-ferrous alloy.

As for the Goodyear UltraGrip tires, I can not comment other than to say that they are specified as the approved winter tire in the Owner's Handbook. But I recommend chains no matter what tires you have. There are lots of situations where nothing else will do.

You might also need chains to satisfy regulations. In our local mountains, when the "Chains Required" signs are out, the policy for Land Rovers seems to be you don't have to have your chains mounted, but you do have to have them in the car. It wouldn't surprise me if the same policy was in place in the frozen north.

Land Rover hasn't done us any favors where chains are concerned. The clearance for chains between the tire and suspension is more like it would be for a sports car than an SUV. So we have to be careful which chains we choose. Land Rover has "genuine" chains available. That means, of course, chains that could be had elsewhere under a different brand name for a fraction of the price. I have chains for our LR4. They are RUD Grip chains in size 0141, which are appropriate for 255/55R19 tires. Land Rover recommends that chains only be used on the front wheels. Common off-road wisdom says that if you have real 4WD you should have 4 chains. I've read articles and posts which describe "Land Rover Experience" instructors using chains on all four whees. And where they recommend just using them on the back wheels. I have fitted my chains to both front and rear wheels, but haven't had occasion to drive with them mounted. Having had them mounted in both places and seen the clearances for myself, and in the absence of personal experience, I tend to favor going with chains mounted only on the rear.

If there are those who have used chains extensively, please chime in!

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something that is not mentioned about the block heater is that you will need to be able to plug it into a 120V outlet to use it. From my experiences they are not stand alone units that run off of the car's battery. At least I've never seen one. From the sounds of it, you will be in a pretty remote area. If you're staying in a campground the possibility of an outlet will be much better.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
@ a517458,

How was the trip? What preparations among those discussed did you make? Which were needed and which weren't? What LR4-related wisdom can you tmpart? Can we see some photos?

Bigtaku

Reaction score
I Live in Alaska and my LR3 is the perfect vehicle. The only problem I have had with my 2006 is the rear hatch electronic switch will freeze when it gets in the teens or lower. Water must be getting in there somehow but I haven't had luck getting the four bolts off that hold the switch and the hatch two lights. Have a great trip!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4