Looking to buy this LR4, but rattle at cold start. Goes away when warm...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh, we’re not going to argue about LR vs Toyota reliability here, aren’t we?

LR makes a much more sophisticated vehicles which comes at a price.

And reliability is not even the main problem here, a terrible service is. Average dealership is good enough to change oil and tyres, but completely useless otherwise.
After warranty expires finding a good indy shop is the key to a happy LR ownership.

I don't think anyone is saying Toyota isn't more reliable than Land Rover. But I am saying that the Land Rover reliability issues are a little overblown, particularly if you are an active owner who stays on top of maintenance items.

Thing is, those "maintenance items" existed with Toyotas, too. Just less of them, I suppose.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will say my 2010 LR4 has been more reliable than my 06 LR3. Having a differential fail at 20k kms into the LR3's life was a little off putting.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
I don't agree that this has been well maintained.
We all know that Rovers are, well, Rovers, but our 2016 (purchased used and possibly a weak maintenance history) at the same mileage has only one issue - a weak air compressor.
I have a hard time understanding how the timing chain could be that loud at 65K miles other than poor maintenance.

I am very open to be educated as our 2016 belongs to the daughter, lives across the country, and I only get a few weeks a year to actually touch it and to work on it.

cager

Reaction score
I just bought a used LR4 with 132K km on it and noticed that there is a rattling.
Here's the noise in a 1min Youtube video (rattling is better heard 30seconds in)

I brought it to a reputable shop and they said that theres low oil pressure, and also to diagnose they'd charge around $1K CAD and then see whether anything else needs to be replaced. If they rebuild they'll need around $13K CAD to rehaul and rebuild the engine.

I decided to keep driving it for the time being. They said that if the sound gets worse then its time to change the chain but for now the low rattle is OK. I use this guy for my daily city highway 60KM round trip, so not long distances.

My question is, when should I change it? How many more KM should I go? If I don't, and the engine seizes, can it still be rehauled or is the engine a total loss? I'm thinking I drive it until it dies then I pay the $13K CAD for the rehaul. Is this reasonable?

Thanks!

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These motors sound like dog ****, the fuel injectors are LOUD.

You'll hear the chain "slap" the most on a HOT restart. Run the motor, drive the truck and get it to operating temperature. Shut it off. Wait a minute. Turn it on, you'll hear the slap for a couple seconds immediately upon restart (and it usually goes away right after).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV