Need -40 Celsius/Fahrenheit condition advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

a517458

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Planning a trip to Yellowknife, Canada to see the aurora this December.
will be a 07 LR3 and 11 LR4.
I know it will be cold, snow and ice.
Anything that I need? antifreeze?

I do not have the HD package, so no rear locking differential, will that be a major disadvantage in snow?

Any advise is appreciated.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chains, shovel, and a very warm winter jacket. No need for anti freeze!

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd also throw a couple 20' ****** straps in the back too.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Satellite phone, short-wave radio, and lots of flares.

gfcronus,
did you get your LR yet? What are you waiting for man. go ahead take the plunge. you'll be happy you did. Don't scare the girl. she is going on a nice trip and you are implying that she will get stranded. she will be just fine and at least she will be very happy getting there in a nice LR4!

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
First off, don't let anything said here dissuade you from what sounds like a wonderful adventure. That said, as with any adventure, hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

I live in southern California, and so my experience with subarctic climate is practically nil, but if I were in your position, here's what I would be investigating:

Replacing the oil with an oil of proper viscosity for the temperatures you anticipate.
Does your vehicle have a block heater? Should it?
Should you alter the ratio of anti-freeze to water?
Should you replace the windshield washer fluid with de-icing fluid? Certainly a windshield scraper would be handy.
Both vehicles should have tire chains.
Maybe both vehicles should have studded tires.
Is there reliable cell phone service all along your route? Have a list of local emergency assistance numbers.
How well are the roads along your route maintained? How often plowed? If you can, get some insight from someone in Yellowknife or elsewhere in the area.
Does the navigation system have maps for the area in which you intend to travel?
Have a back-up nav system. Even if it's just paper maps and a handheld GPS. You don't want to get lost.
Is fuel available at intervals coinciding with the range of the vehicle? Do you need to carry extra fuel?
You should carry water and food, flashlights, extra batteries, etc. just in case.

Without knowing any details about your route, I'd say the suggestions of a shovel and tow straps are good ones. Besides the tow straps, you should have shackles to attach the straps to the vehicles. Practice mounting the chains and practice with the tow straps under ideal conditions, before you get into trouble, so that should the need arise your stress level is lessened. Know how to remove the access covers for the recovery points on the vehicle. If you can get recovery training from a knowledgable source, that would be ideal. A pair of walkie-talkies or other two-way radios are always nice to communicate between vehicles. If bad weather closes in on you, you should have pre-planned places to stop and wait it out - places where there are services available, of course. Check in with someone at home every day, and let them know whom to contact should you fail to check in.

If you are not familiar with driving in snow and ice conditions, don't miss any opportunity to practice before you set off on your expedition. It sounds like fun!

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Last edited:

gfcronus

Banned
Reaction score
gfcronus,
did you get your LR yet? What are you waiting for man. go ahead take the plunge. you'll be happy you did. Don't scare the girl. she is going on a nice trip and you are implying that she will get stranded. she will be just fine and at least she will be very happy getting there in a nice LR4!

No. My brain is trying to dissuade me, even though my heart--and, secretly, my wife--wants me to just do it. Besides, I am caught between model years. Not enough 2012 inventory out there and none of the left over 2011s sitting on dealer lots have what I want.

a517458

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, don't let anything said here dissuade you from what sounds like a wonderful adventure. That said, as with any adventure, hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

I live in southern California, and so my experience with subarctic climate is practically nil, but if I were in your position, here's what I would be investigating:

Replacing the oil with an oil of proper viscosity for the temperatures you anticipate.
Does your vehicle have a block heater? Should it?
Should you alter the ratio of anti-freeze to water?
Should you replace the windshield washer fluid with de-icing fluid? Certainly a windshield scraper would be handy.
Both vehicles should have tire chains.
Maybe both vehicles should have studded tires.
Is there reliable cell phone service all along your route? Have a list of local emergency assistance numbers.
How well are the roads along your route maintained? How often plowed? If you can, get some insight from someone in Yellowknife or elsewhere in the area.
Does the navigation system have maps for the area in which you intend to travel?
Have a back-up nav system. Even if it's just paper maps and a handheld GPS. You don't want to get lost.
Is fuel available at intervals coinciding with the range of the vehicle? Do you need to carry extra fuel?
You should carry water and food, flashlights, extra batteries, etc. just in case.

Without knowing any details about your route, I'd say the suggestions of a shovel and tow straps are good ones. Besides the tow straps, you should have shackles to attach the straps to the vehicles. Practice mounting the chains and practice with the tow straps under ideal conditions, before you get into trouble, so that should the need arise your stress level is lessened. Know how to remove the access covers for the recovery points on the vehicle. If you can get recovery training from a knowledgable source, that would be ideal. A pair of walkie-talkies or other two-way radios are always nice to communicate between vehicles. If bad weather closes in on you, you should have pre-planned places to stop and wait it out - places where there are services available, of course. Check in with someone at home every day, and let them know whom to contact should you fail to check in.

If you are not familiar with driving in snow and ice conditions, don't miss any opportunity to practice before you set off on your expedition. It sounds like fun!

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Thank you ~!

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you ~!

Can't agree more here.

At those temperatures, I would think a block heater would be needed.

I would also plan for the worst as far as personal exposure is concerned. At those temperatures with even the slightest wind, frostbite could become an immediate issue.

I would familiarize your self with the signs and treatment and make sure you have the medical supplies to treat.

Take a look at the current anti-freeze you have and see what it's rated at. You can probably cut that down by a 3rd if you currently have a mixed solution.

Foil blankets are great for reflecting body heat.

And most importantly, bring a great camera so we can see where you've gone!!

Have fun!

Marty

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635