New But Not a Noob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theskittleman

Reaction score
Howdy,

After having at them for a year, just took the plunge on a very well cared for 05 LR3 HSE. Having around 60,000mi on it, it's pretty immaculate. Services have been kept*up. Most recently, the control arms/air compressor have been replaced.

Had it inspected by both, the local LR dealership and a very well respected/established garage. Both confirmed that tires/brakes would need replacing soon. Knew this. Otherwise, in great condition.

Three things I've noticed:

• Very occasional suspension fault. Clears w/ restarting.
  • Intermittent airbag light
  • Thumping from the front end at low speed in a slight turn

1. Owing to the fact the compressor was replaced, I'm guessing it isn't the problem. Air leak? Not noticing any sagging. Will test for it, tho. The mechanic advised the previous owner that the airbags were in good shape.

2. Airbag light seems to be related to the driver's seat position. Any common failure points?

3. This thump seems obvious, suspension control arms.But, I have a receipt from where they were all done. Stabilizer bar bushings? Seen that mentioned a few times. Will check driveline for any play... as well as suspension. It's like a tire going flat, tho. What do you all think?

Thanks for your help.

---skittleman

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's start here...

I am guessing you've got lower front suspension bushing arms worn, it's a common issue.

The videos on the channel have sound identification videos that are extremely useful.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jjvd21/videos

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....but if the control arms were recently changed, I'm not sure it's them, tlt.

The sound that the swaybar bushings make when worn is distincly different than the control arms. Whereas the control arm bushings are a sharp, snappy "clunk" that is predictable and easily reproducible by idling along and then hitting the brake pedal; the swaybar bushings make a deeper "thud."

I would know. I replaced the rears followed by the fronts a year or so later. They are fairly cheap to replace, even at the dealership...that's the good news.

Not sure on your suspension fault. You'll have to describe the other effects as well. Is it amber? What is happening when it goes off? What are the driving conditions and what happens to the EAS functionality after that?

When I hear "airbag" I think clockspring. You should make sure that that vehicle was brought in for the recall a few years back.

Cheers...and congrats. Go get it dirty!

theskittleman

Reaction score
It was the front control arms that were replaced. Will check on the rear.

Thing that worries me... It's rhythmic like a tire going flat. Volume wise it eases in, get's loudish (can just feel it in steering), and eases back out.

Just raised to off road and then returned to normal... And, when it reached normal, it chimed and then I got air suspension inactive and special programs off. The air suspension light was amber.

Just subscribed to TOPIx. Saw the tech serv bulletin on the clockspring. Will check on that as well.

tlt, that channel looks fantastic... will check it out this evening. Thanks for your help, friends.

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a bad height sensor? Try this to diagnose the air suspension. On your nav screen, go to the page that shows the suspension heights for each wheel. Put the vehicle into off road height and monitor the screen to see if there are any irregularities. Do then same when the vehicle goes back down to normal height.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The suspension light might also be caused if a height calibration and alignment was not done. You can walk around and eyeball it for heights and see if it looks the same, or there is a big difference. Mismatched tires can cause the problem, as mentioned above, the height sensor thing.

Trynian

Reaction score
When I hear "airbag" I think clockspring. You should make sure that that vehicle was brought in for the recall a few years back.

That was my first thought as well but when he mentioned seat position I thought of the discussion on the UK board about a connector under the seat.

That might be the first thing to check.

theskittleman

Reaction score
Got all the service records from the Dealer. Looks like the airbag service bulletin was taken care of.

I wondered about a height sensor. I'm getting an occasionally red dash at access height. Right front, I believe. Ig that means it's hitting the bump-stop.

With the rhythmic thumping noise, I'd wondered about a CV as well. It's confirmed to happen at moderate speed in a turn. Sounds/feels like I'm getting a flat.

If it is in fact a CV, how is the problem going to progress?

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would get worse. My local independent put it on a lift, and used something to see how much play it had in it to see if the CV was ok.

Could be wheel bearing / hub as well. Do you have a decent independent, where are you located?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4