No auto relocking feature?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rattlee

Reaction score
When i walk away from my 2010 LR4 should it not lock itself automatically? I am surprised to find that the LR4 does not have such an auto re locking feature like some of the other cheaper cars around.... any ideas? or am i missing something?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i walk away from my 2010 LR4 should it not lock itself automatically? I am surprised to find that the LR4 does not have such an auto re locking feature like some of the other cheaper cars around.... any ideas? or am i missing something?
Hi rattlee,

I am not sure what you mean by "lock itself" when you walk away? Do you mean when you exit the car after parking? I know when I unlock the car and do not get in it for a few minutes (not sure how long exactly) it automatically locks itself again. I do not think it locks itself otherwise.

It does, however, lock itself once you drive away.

rattlee

Reaction score
I mean auto locking feature.

During one of the test drives I found out that the VW's and the Audi's automatically centrally lock itself when you move away after parking. But the LR4 does not do the same. The car is still in the unlocked state no matter what and the only way to lock it is physically pressing the door or remote buttons.

In fact it does re-locks automatically after opening any of the doors in the parking state. It takes about 30-60 seconds to do the same. Which is kind of cool... but i would have definitely liked the system where in the car locks itself on parking.

And Yes, the auto drive away locking system is awesome.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
During one of the test drives I found out that the VW's and the Audi's automatically centrally lock itself when you move away after parking. But the LR4 does not do the same. The car is still in the unlocked state no matter what and the only way to lock it is physically pressing the door or remote buttons.

In fact it does re-locks automatically after opening any of the doors in the parking state. It takes about 30-60 seconds to do the same. Which is kind of cool... but i would have definitely liked the system where in the car locks itself on parking.

Hello rattlee,

Thanks for the clarification. You are correct, the LR4 (as far as I know) does not offer that feature. It must be something with the VW brand (VW, Audi, etc.) because I had Mercedes and BMW recently (before I got my LR4 in February 2011) and neither of these brands (at least my models) did not have the auto-lock feature after parking. So, for me, I am used to having to hit the "lock" feature on the key fob.

-David.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
When doing my purchase research I thought I read about that being a Lux version only feature. I may be wrong.

Franky

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have an '11 Lux and it does lock when driving away (@ 5mph). You have to go into the settings screen on the main display in the instrument cluster.

In my manual, part of this is on page 61, Vechicle info and settings menu. Go into vechicle set-up and its in there

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR4 doesn't lock itself after you exit the cabin. You have to hit the button on the door handle.

My wife's Lexus acts the same way. I have to hit the button on the door handle for it to lock after we leave the car. None of the Mercs or BMWs have this feature either that I know of. I'm surprised to hear that VW and Audi are doing this auto-locking. Its not a bad idea, but I'm not sure if I would want it.

Rob

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR4 doesn't lock itself after you exit the cabin. You have to hit the button on the door handle.

My wife's Lexus acts the same way. I have to hit the button on the door handle for it to lock after we leave the car. None of the Mercs or BMWs have this feature either that I know of. I'm surprised to hear that VW and Audi are doing this auto-locking. Its not a bad idea, but I'm not sure if I would want it.

Rob

I noticed you cannot even lock the doors from the inside of the door is open. What I do with my other cars is as I am leaving I hit the lock button in the door and shut the door and walk away. LR doesn't let you do that. With the LR you have to lock the door from the outside either with the fob or the button in the door handle if available in your LR.

Big_Mark

Reaction score
I'm thinking this is not a bad thing. It would suck if you left your keys in the car, then found out the car was locked with your keys in it.

Unless the LR4 has a proximity sensor type key setup (Like Volvo) where you just get close to the car with the key and it unlocks.

rattlee

Reaction score
Oh yeah, there is a proximity sensor in the LR4, which can tell when the key is inside or outside the vehicle. There must be some other reason why this feature is not present in the LR4, cause they pretty much darn thought of everything else. Nevertheless it's not so much of a pain cause once you exit the car a press on any of the doors secures the car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99