No dash lights, tail lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I saw someone post this a few pages ago, but the reply didn't really have a detailed answer.

I too have to use my rear foglights because my dash lights and tail lights don't work. I understand that it is the head light switch.

My questions

What all is involved with replacing that switch, can it be replaced without replacing the entire steering column?

Where is a good place to find one? And what price should I expect to pay, so I don't get hosed.

Thanks to all who reply!!

Justin Burner

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
No dash lights, no tail lights = headlight switch is normally bad.

Reaction score
I did check the fuses, they're all ok

What is involved with changing the headlight switch? I'm assuming that you're referring to the switch that's on the steering column. Can that be changed without changing the entire steering column?

You guys are probably gonna laugh, but is there a chilton's manual or anything to help with repairs?

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my D1 switch out several times over the years

If your's is a D1, pull the (3) phillips out from the bottom of the column cover.

I use a small screwdriver to remove both electrical connectors

Then as your sitting in the seat looking @ it, there's (2) tabs on the switch ass'y closest to you.

if you release them, the whole ass'y slides out (second time takes 3 mins.)

Clean a 2' square to disassemble switch & pay attention to orientation of parts (digital camera?)

Mine was so worn that I built contacts up with 50/50 solder, that was a year ago.

(download a RAVE cd)

luck,greg

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did check the fuses, they're all ok

What is involved with changing the headlight switch? I'm assuming that you're referring to the switch that's on the steering column. Can that be changed without changing the entire steering column?

You guys are probably gonna laugh, but is there a chilton's manual or anything to help with repairs?

If you like to work on your truck, you might want to down load a free copy of a Rave shop manual for easy directions.
See their link on my signature area.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4