No Rear Locker... Deal breaker?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dad2five

Reaction score
I am 0.02 pounds of finger pressure from pulling the trigger on a new LR4. I want it because I desire a 4x4 with good towing capability, with seating for all my kids and wife, and because I've become accustomed to nice appointments in my day to day vehicle. I've looked at jeep, ford, lexus, infiniti, bmw, and mercedes and the LR4 is what I want.

...so what's the rub, you ask? Read on.

The LR4 HSE LUX that I have test driven thrice, I could "sign-n-drive" home tomorow... Oh I SO want to drive it home tomorrow. It is, however, not outfitted with the HD package; hence no full size spare and no active locking rear differential. The full size spare-not a concern to me as I could always easily attend to that myself later. (It also doesn't have the rear DVD package, which I didn't want anyhoo, but I digress.)

I was hoping to get the HD package, because, well, heavy duty sounds... better. Having done some research on the locker I think I understand that it would help prevent spin on one side if the other tire is raised up on rock or if one wheel is on pavement and the other ice/snow/sand.

I'm a total novice to off roading. I don't plan to stay that way, but to be perfectly honest I think the best I can hope for is 3-4 outings a year. I live on the east coast, so most of my journeys that might test the machine (err, that might test ME) would be in the wooded trails of appalachia, on snow-covered gravel/dirt/blacktop roads, or on the sand of the outer banks of North Carolina.

Holding out for a vehicle with the locker might add months to a delivery date, might prevent my getting the color I've hoped for, and hell it adds an element of the unknown. I've seen one thread previously about the locker but I still must ask:

Am I going to miss the active locking rear differential?
Can it be ADDED afterwards for anywhere near $750?
Your opinion and knowledge is valued; I look forward to it.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I have a LR4 with out the HD package. I was in the same boat as you, I thought I wanted it but I wasn't sure I was willing to wait for it. I do take my LR4 off-road. I have had it to Moab already once this year and to the Black hills of Sout Dakota as well as a dealer event. I can tell you that I have not missed the locking rear diff for any of my adventures, and i doubt that I will. The traction control system is so good on the truck, that having the rear locker just isn't as important as it would be on a different vehicle. I would love to have a full size matching spare, but I can wait on that for a while.

All things considered, if they would have had two LR4s that were the same in every way with one having the HD package, I would have easily sprung for the extra $750. But when your dealer only had 4 LR4s and can't really tell me when any more will come in, you kind of have to pick from what you have in front of you. I wish mine had the HD package, heck I even wish mine was a different color, but I'm still very happy with my LR4.

If you look around here, you will find lots of evidence that the locker really isn't needed for off-road adventures. The traction control system rocks!

dad2five

Reaction score
Trigger pulled! :biggrin:

Delivery on Friday. Thanks very much for you input.

dad2five

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree about the HD package. It was something I thought I must have, no matter what. But there was nothing anywhere and like one gentleman said, you just pick what's available if you don't want to special order. I'm not going to mountain climb, will off-road, so it should be fine. If the HD package was thousands of dollars, then in my mind, it's saying you must have it. But for 750 (which is really to cover the cost of that spare), says it's really not necessary. At least for our means.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge