no start Stuck in NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skarts

Reaction score
Last night my disco died. It started to misfire and then stalled. Upon looking for the cause found there was no spark coming out of the distributor. this morning i changed the cap and rotor hoping one was faulty. No luck. there is spark at the coil, spark at the end of the lead, to the distributor, but no spark at the end of the ignition wires. when i changed the cap there was play in the distributor arm maybe an eight of a turn or so?, Right now I'm stuck in NY and need to get home for tomorrow, times ticking, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sadly I was driving to Chicago when you made this post... sounds like the crank position sensor may have died.

skarts

Reaction score
any way to test that? any likely hood on a weak coil?

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CPS should test approximatley 300-400 ohms as a general rule of thumb. That is with an accurate ohmeter.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, there is no Cps pre-'96

The rave has great diagnosis on the distributor, if you have access.

luck,greg

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greg: I didn't think there was a crankshaft position sensor mines a 95. After I read the thread I went thru my factory service manual and electronic manual and yes supposedly I have one. Never looked for it but it does show one hope it doesn't go bad as it sounds difficult to get to from posts i've read. Won't know till I look for it unless someone knows for sure.

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greg: bought my rover used came with shop manuals. No date on these manuals but I'm thinking they are for a 96.

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't a distributor arm be tight? 1/8 turn of lash sounds like a little much. My 97 is quite tight. 215,00 miles on it.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't a distributor arm be tight? 1/8 turn of lash sounds like a little much. My 97 is quite tight. 215,00 miles on it.

Yes, the less play the better, as it contols timing advance/******.

alzerom, is your '97 a northamerican model? as the '96 & later NAS models don't have distributors.

luck,greg

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's from Chile. they sell the previous year model as new. Pretty common throughout Latin America. It's for sale as I just aquired an American 2004.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM