non-decorative-capped lugnut availability?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKJK

Reaction score
I replaced all of my lug nuts with the black gorilla lugs listed above. I have silver wheels and they look fine. But you might have a different look in mind. At least 1-2 of the original tin capped lugs on each wheel were shot so I replaced the full lot. No problems. Fit is the same as OE.

Last edited:

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually inadequate shops use sockets that don't quite fit the lugs, and they torque the crap out of them. If you use the correct socket for any lug and never use an air impact wrench you'd never have a problem. Torque everything down with a torque wrench by hand. To remove just use a wrench with a pipe for torque. I understand exactly what you mean...after a few years of going to random tire shops my lugs were completely stripped and rounded. In regards to your original question, I've never come across a set of cap-less lugs for our rovers. The gorillas deff take abuse better than the oem lugs however even though they are the same in design.

JKJK

Reaction score
Actually the gorilla lugs are solid without a decorative cap. So they are different than the OEs.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the Gorilla version of the solid nuts as well. I do prefer them considerably over stock; even though I haven't had those caps round off yet, it's pretty clear to me how they easily could. I needed black anyway, so I got the Gorillas.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the misfortune of having a monkey work on the wheels, the cap can get deformed such that the socket won't fit all the way to the shoulder. From then on, the cap gets increasingly damaged each time it is used. Throw in lug nuts torqued to well beyond the specs, enough so that my air impact wrench could not break them free, and you have a recipe for being stranded if you get a flat. Eventually the cap can spin independently from the nut underneath. I had to use my mallet to hammer the impact socket onto the nut in order to remove a few of them. Removing the socket afterward was a challenge, to say the least, and the nut was at that point no longer fit for purpose. I ended up breaking all 20 loose and torquing them to spec, with 5 turning into paper weights. Didn't think of looking for single piece ones until more recently, and spent $72 at the local JLR dealer for a set of 5 - didn't want to drive around with 4 nuts per wheel. I have a few now where my 6-point impact socket won't fit, but my 12-point non-impact will, so I'm trying to plan ahead and have a few nuts on hand.

No "misfortune", nobody touches any my vehicles including the LR of 23 years and counting. Caps not swelled up, nuts fall out of the 6 point socket. Torqued to near spec numbers.

Those are steelie cone nuts above, people should make sure they are buying flat seated washered nuts when ordering, pay attention there......~~=o&o>........

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I ordered the Eisen ones off of Amazon, they look good for the price. I measured them with my caliper, and the diameter of the shank is 0.88, whereas the OEM ones (and the specs on the Gorilla ones) are 0.89". Is that 0.01" anything to be concerned about?

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I ordered the Eisen ones off of Amazon, they look good for the price. I measured them with my caliper, and the diameter of the shank is 0.88, whereas the OEM ones (and the specs on the Gorilla ones) are 0.89". Is that 0.01" anything to be concerned about?
I’ve had these for almost a year and haven’t had any issues

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV