OEM LR side protection tubes VTD500010

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a used set of these and they seem to have all the mounting hardware but unfortunately no mounting instructions. There are 3 brackets with a total of 10 bolts that mount on the underside on both sides but I can't tell exactly how. I was under the impression that there wasn't any drilling necessary with these OEM bars but after looking under there I'm not seeing how that's possible. I can't find any videos or install instructions online, anyone installed these that can enlighten me or maybe send pics of the install instructions if you have them? I have an 11 LR4 but these should be the same for the LR3 and LR4.

Thanks!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is fitting instructions. It's like the side steps, you need to remove (and manually drill / cut out) the existing lower door sill trim covers to get access to the mounting holes for the brackets supplied with the kits. Looks like a time intensive but easy DIY job.

Ryby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man! I had to use my imagination some as they only had instructions for the running boards and not the tubes. The mounting brackets are different and so are some of the mounting points but that got the job done.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Rudy,

I actually just installed these myself last Tues. Took me between 3-4 hours (I'm rarely a DIY'er, so time to finish is probably extended). Got mine from Land Rover Rocklin, instructions came with the set. I like the way they look, though they won't seem to help much as steps. I thought a lot about what to get, didn't like the look of the OEM running boards, the 3rd party options (Voyager & Tactical) were much heavier and a more complicated install process, in the end I got what satisfied me with the black OEM side tubes. Hope you like em, I think they add a good look to the LR4.

Ryby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah not much of a step at all. Looks pretty cool and hopefully it will provide some body protection!

andyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't really step on them? Or is there not enough of a edge to step on them?

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cannot easily step on them, in a pinch and with cat-like agility one could stand on them for a small task I suppose.

Ryby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol, yeah pretty much what he said. My 3 year old and 7 year old's little ninja feet find them somewhat useful, but my clodhoppers just slip down the sides. They don't stick out that far and they are positioned pretty snug up to the trim so they don't provide much surface area.

andyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about a wife with really small feet? Will it work?

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much protection do they actually provide? I, too, am a bit concerned about the weight and install for the Tactical 4x4s. Are they likely to just bend up into the body anyway if you ease down onto a shelf that your underestimated? Or rub up against a short boulder along the side of the trail? I'm less concerned about looks, more concerned about functionality. I don't need steps. More interested in trying to balance weight vs protection.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo