Off Road Fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sigh... It happened this past Saturday while doing some rock crawling. Felt the LR3 slipping sideways but I didn't think much of it. I kept creeping through but the vehicle kept slipping sideways. Then somebody yelled that a rock was stuck in the wheel. Tried pulling the rock out but it was too big to slip through any opening. Had to jack the vehicle to get the wheel to drop down, and then was able to pull the rock out. I'm guessing it weighed somewhere around 40 to 50 pounds. The muffler tube on the driver's side is now pinched, the fender where the driver side rear closes now juts out, the wheel well plastic is torn through in some spots, and there is a bit of coolant (pink fluid) weeping from a hose just above the muffler.

I'm guessing that somehow the rock was tipped up, perhaps having been caught by the muffler tubing, pinched between the wheel and the rear bumper, and then pulled up by the rotation of the wheel. Has anybody seen something like this happen before? I'll admit I'm a novice at the whole off roading thing, which is probably 99.9% of why this happened.

Attachments

• Rock_Wedgie0001.jpg
    Rock_Wedgie0001.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 176
  • Rock_Wedgie_Out0001.jpg
    Rock_Wedgie_Out0001.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 175
  • Fender_Damage0001.jpg
    Fender_Damage0001.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 173
  • Muffler_Damage0001.jpg
    Muffler_Damage0001.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 171

codemonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, that sucks. If it's any consolation I don't think I've ever seen that happen before.

Don't let it discourage you, now that you have some trail damage might as well really wheel that thing!

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see it happen frequently in Disco II's and some Jeeps. Not much you can do, especially if you can't feel it or see it until too late. The muffler isn't too bad, I wish mine looked that good ;-)

Trynian

Reaction score
Wow, that is an odd occurance. Sorry for your mishap. I can't figure how it got up there since there is not near that much room between the tire and the front of the wheel well.

Once you get it fixed I suggest you drop those side steps. I have seen those damage the under seal more then once off road.

Get some rover specialty sliders if you plan to do any more rock crawling.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How specifically have the side steps caused damage to the under seal? Seems like they'd just come off if the load was great enough...or bend upward either deflecting the outrigger brackets that attach them to the sub-frame or the sub-frame itself.

Trynian

Reaction score
How specifically have the side steps caused damage to the under seal? Seems like they'd just come off if the load was great enough...or bend upward either deflecting the outrigger brackets that attach them to the sub-frame or the sub-frame itself.

When they have been bent up from landing on a rock they dented the under sill. The under sill is only sheet metal.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW, that same thing almost happened to me two weekends ago. Luckily my spotter saw it happening. It popped off the wheel arch in my case, but no permanent damage. I would 2nd the suggestion to loose the side steps (mine are up for sale now). My only other tip would be go slow with no or low radio to hear the trucks feedback.

I truly hope you can get past this easily and get back out and enjoy the truck for what it was designed to do. I am sure its a terrible feeling to see it banged up.

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My kids probably still need the side steps to get in and out of the vehicle, but I'll see if the wife is willing to lose them (the sidesteps, not the kids).

I was initially very shocked to see the rock wedged in there and the damage that it had caused, and the thought of what had happened put a damper on the rest of the day. The second picture shows the rock after it has been removed. I still cannot believe that something that large could get pulled into the wheel well. I've initiated a claim with my insurance company to repair the body and muffler tube damage. I'm not so worried about the muffler tube, but the fender needs to be repaired as the rear door does not close without a tremendous amount of force, and even then it still juts out slightly.

I've already planned another trip for the beginning of July. I'll make sure to be extra attentive.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As mentioned above...rover specialties sliders. I went with opt 2 (slim) and my 24 month boy can still climb in and out. Pricey (too me), but paid for themselves 2X in one outing. That and adj rods for a 2" lift were the best investment in damage prevention.

iphone%20314.jpg

LROffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow

Wow, I've done a lot of off roading, for a few years I would go atleast 2 times a week, and I have never seen any vehicle manage to do that:biggrin: You don't know how excited I was to see that you took your LR3 off road though, I think that is awesome, Those Rover Specialties rock sliders are awesome, you also might want to call RoverTym I know they have some rock sliders that they are doing for the LR3, and personally I would go with RoverTym anyday, I have had several great experiences with them so have all my friends, I can give you there number is you want, but major props to you for taking the LR3 off road! Are you a part of any land rover off road club in your state? If not, then I think you should join one and get hooked up with other Rovers off road

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99