Oil additives?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm due for a DIY oil change. My schedule is a bit flexible but averages every 5000-7500 miles and I use Mobil1 and a Mahle filter. 2011 HSE 5.0L with 73K on the odo.

Are you folks using any kind of oil additive? BG MOA was recommended by my indy shop and they used it during a comp oil change they gave me at my last service.

Any advice/suggestions on oil additives? (brand, frequency, tips) How about fuel additives? I have not had a fuel induction service done but am considering it for overall wellness. TIA.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you change your oil and filter every 5000-7500 miles with high quality synthetic, you're already kinda overdoing it (7500 miles intervals is my schedule as well), so personally I think any kinds of oil additives would be a waste. Land Rover does suggest pouring a bottle of BG 44K fuel additive in your tank no more than every 15k miles and, especially with our direct injection engines being allegedly more prone to carbon buildup, it probably wouldn't hurt to follow their recommendation. Based on my indy shop's opinion, I ask them to perform a full fuel induction service about every 30k miles instead of using fuel detergents, and I always try filling up at Top Tier stations gas stations, with super unleaded only, of course.

Last edited:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Umberto. I saw a previous post where you mentioned fuel induction service at 15K intervals but I see you've extended that to 30K.

As I have previously admitted, I don't go the super unleaded route as a rule but am rethinking that. It would certainly be a relatively cheap part of a Rover Wellness Regimen. I have used BG 44K in the past and that's another easy and inexpensive thing to do. I'm gonna add that to my Prime order for the oil filter. Thanks for the input.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I am only visiting my indy shop every 30k miles now that I'm past 90k - that's about once a year for me - or whenever I need new brakes (one day I'll have to figure out how to do them in my garage.) I can handle oil changes and regular maintenance items in between on my own. I figured a fuel induction service every 30k miles should be sufficient to keep things neat and clean in there. So far, so good.

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I picked up my 2016, service guy stated 16k miles til oil change. I asked about doing the first on each early and he said bit needed.

Why do you change so early? Or is he way off?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking for myself, I like the 7500-ish oil change schedule for a few reasons:

* My 2011 LR4 was a pre-owned purchase. My gut sense from available documentation is that the former owner did all scheduled maintenance. I have gotten attached to this vehicle and I hope to drive it for a long time so I plan to also be diligent about maintenance as well. This is the first time I've ever purchased a pre-owned vehicle so I'm trying to mitigate my risk and don't mind a certain level of overkill in exchange for the confidence in the vehicle that it inspires.

* Oil changes are pretty cheap insurance in the long run. After investing in the MityVac and assorted shop gear, each oil change costs me well under $100. I don't include the cost of beer because that is a house expense amortized across all garage-, home-, and yard-related projects.

* Changing the Landy's oil is fun and satisfying. No, not a totally rational reason for doing it before factory recommendations but hey, you asked. :)

* Per Umberto's reasoning in his must-see youtube video on LR4 oil changes, Castrol oil can be a hassle to source for DIYers. Since I'm using an alternative synth oil (albeit a high quality one: Mobil1), I figure I'm completely safe by changing a little more frequently than recommended. That's also why I asked about the group's advice on additives.

* Finally, old habits die hard. 15K miles between oil changes just doesn't work for me!

All of my previous vehicles were brand-new purchases or leases and I tend to trade out cars every 3 years or so. Knowing that this is my trend, I always did basic service but never took a really long view on things. As mentioned, I'd like to hang on to this baby for a while. Hope that helps.

PS to Umberto: DIY brake job is a major goal of mine!

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm due for a DIY oil change. My schedule is a bit flexible but averages every 5000-7500 miles and I use Mobil1 and a Mahle filter. 2011 HSE 5.0L with 73K on the odo.

Are you folks using any kind of oil additive? BG MOA was recommended by my indy shop and they used it during a comp oil change they gave me at my last service.

Any advice/suggestions on oil additives? (brand, frequency, tips) How about fuel additives? I have not had a fuel induction service done but am considering it for overall wellness. TIA.
Although I have LR3,I have been using BG MOA on my conventional oil for a few years now and my 4.4 has almost 200 000 miles and still runs great .

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there enough room to add the MOA to a new car without draining any oil? Will it over fill it?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there enough room to add the MOA to a new car without draining any oil? Will it over fill it?

Good question. I don't have personal experience since my indy shop added it for me during past oil changes.

The treatment is 11 oz. Not sure of the +/- margins to allow for expansion in that system. I'm pretty sure they provide instructions and a ratio of treatment to oil that is best.

However, my gut says that in a new vehicle (assuming you meant the original factory oil), this treatment would not be necessary. Maybe begin a periodic regimen of BG MOA in future oil changes.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always deduct the amount of MOA from required oil refill by marking a 5 gallon oil bottle .The MOA can amount is adequate to a regular 5 L oil change , so mine 7.7 liter or 8 quart required is a little diluted ,so to speak .

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72