oil change frequency poll under normal driving conditions

oil change frequency under normal driving conditions

• 15k miles as per the book

• more frequent

Results are only viewable after voting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 10 to 15k miles annually both oil and filters look pretty clean fwiw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The poll isn't entirely clear. If changing at 15kmi under normal driving conditions USING FACTORY SPEC OIL... that should be ok, assuming no towing, no offroad, no city driving, or anything else that would mandate the severe service interval of 7500 miles. Problem is, there's much debate about what oils are truly factory JLR spec. And since the original WSS-M2C925-A spec is difficult to find, there's further debate about what spec is equivalent or supercedes the original spec. If you buy oil at the dealer, or have the dealer change the oil, this shouldn't be a problem.

When people think "all oil is the same, I can use any 5W-20 that has "synthetic" somewhere on the label"... Houston, we have a problem.

There's a few detailed threads on the forum discussing this, might be good to search and read those before re-hashing the same stuff all over again.

For the record, I'm currently buying bulk oil from the dealer and changing at 5-7k miles with normal service. Oil changes are cheap insurance, I have no reason to extend to 15k. Although with the ridiculous oil filter price ($30-$40 from most vendors for the OE Chinese filter!), I might start changing the filter every other oil change as ktm525 mentioned. I'll have results from a second oil analysis by spring 2019, the first looked excellent. Click here for details on the previous oil analysis.

:musicus:

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7500 Miles here, Mobil 1, currently at 95,000 miles. If curious, you can send oil out for testing at any interval you choose, say every 2500 miles after a fresh oil change and watch the characteristics change for your truck, your driving style, your weather conditions.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The USA version does not show WSS-M2C925-A spec.
https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1

And, the USA product finder says "...your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 5W-20 viscosity and oil that meets Ford WSS M2C925-A. We currently do not offer any motor oils in the United States that meet these specifications."
https://mobiloil.com/en/product-sel...=TFI0&Engine=SFNFIDgtQ3lsIDUuMCAoRCkgKEdBUyk=

Nobody's LR4 has exploded from using USA-spec M-1 5W-20, but I also wouldn't push it to 15kmi service intervals either. General consensus is to change early if you aren't using dealer oil, or something that shows WSS-M2C925-A on the bottle. All of this has been discussed in the other oil threads...

o_O

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hear ya. i fall into the "ful synthetic oil is full synthetic oil" camp. Ill report back (hopefully) when my LR4 has 200k miles and still running smoothly!
:)

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score

And, the USA product finder says "...your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 5W-20 viscosity and oil that meets Ford WSS M2C925-A. We currently do not offer any motor oils in the United States that meet these specifications."
https://mobiloil.com/en/product-selector?Year=2010&Make=TGFuZCBSb3Zlcg==&Model=TFI0&Engine=SFNFIDgtQ3lsIDUuMCAoRCkgKEdBUyk=

Nobody's LR4 has exploded from using USA-spec M-1 5W-20, but I also wouldn't push it to 15kmi service intervals either. General consensus is to change early if you aren't using dealer oil, or something that shows WSS-M2C925-A on the bottle. All of this has been discussed in the other oil threads...

o_O
sent you a PM as im missing some piece of this i think

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sent you a PM as im missing some piece of this i think
Using Mobil-1 full-synthetic 5W-20 should be fine, just don't run it anywhere near a 15,000 mile change interval. I wouldn't go past 7,500 miles under normal service, half that with severe service. IMO, the fancy spec required is mostly to allow the extended (15kmi) oil change interval. Remember that with anything LR views as "severe service", the oil change interval is to be cut in half.

I'm personally not a fan of Mobil-1 since they quietly changed to Group III base stocks circa 2005-ish, but I understand it's easily available for most people. If my local Land Rover dealer stops selling me their bulk oil, I'll use Red Line; which is still a Group IV/V with PAO/ester base. I use Red Line in all my other vehicles.

:cool:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yet the ExxonMobil product code for the foreign version rickyn linked and the US version you linked is the exact same; meaning, it's the exact same stuff.

I think it's likely that the Ford WSS-M2C945-A spec the US website states the oil is rated to meet supercedes the older 925-A spec, but for some reason the foreign website still lists the older spec. Maybe it's more germane to automobiles in that region.

For me, it's all moot as I don't buy the idea of 15k oil change intervals even with the OEM Gucci Castrol, science be damned. The oil changes are just too damn easy in the LR4 for me to entertain the idea of risking it.

Last edited:

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the PDS showing both the 925 and 945 typical values for Castrol. The big PDF has all the different weights, the png file I cut and pasted for easier comparison side by side. Now you can see what changes, depends where you live could be important.
Capture.JPG

Attachments

• BPXE-9K774P (1).pdf
    110.1 KB · Views: 47

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM