Oil Cost Too Much!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just received this letter...

I just spent $150.00 to get my oil changed. What is the deal with this? Do you have to have synthetic 5w/50 oil, a special filter, or any amazing parts for it to cost this? I am told they have to remove a large cover to even change the oil. By the way I own a '03 Freelander. Please help so I don't have to endure this cost again.

What do you guys think?

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guy needs to learn how to change his own oil. There simply cannot be anything that complex on a Freebie that $150 is required to do a oil change.

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even my LR dealer doesn't charge that much for a full-service oil change, it maxes out around $60-something.

(My new LR has the premium member maintenance - all service included for the first 4 years)

R

rovertech

the freelander has a large plastic cover in the way of the filter and drain plug. It is rivited on to brackets on the right side and also has a 10mm bolt going int the crossmember. The biggest reason for the expensive oil change on a freelander is that it takes 6.5quarts of synthetic oil, And the tech has to remove the cover in such a way as to not damage it so it can be re attatched. most likely if you have taken yours in for service the rivets will be drilled out already.hope this helps some

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:mad: ARE YOU KIDDING ME? There's a plastic panel that KEEPS you from changing the oil? Is that panel crucial for operation of the vehicle or just another version of the manufacturer ensuring that you go to them for service? I had a friend with a Cadillac Catera, and the car had a keyed oil drain plug, but I thought that Rovers were supposed to be "field-servicable" for the most part.

Sheesh, that does it. I'm buying a SIIA 109" and moving it, my D1, and my dog and building a cabin in the Wyoming wilderness...

:mad:

S

SteveA

The plastic undertray is there for two reasons. First it is crucial to help meet European noise standards (notice how thick the cover on the top of the engine is...it's not just there for looks). Secondly, it helps manage airflow under the car (less drag means better fuel economy). I guess you could argue that it keeps mud and dirt from getting up inside the engine compartment.

It's not designed to keep you from changing the oil. Look underneath every European CAR built in the last 10 years and you will see something similar.

Just remove it, drain your oil, change your filter and put it back. Land Rover does specify full sythetic oil for your Freelander, and I would recomend using the Land Rover filter, but I wouldn't spend $150 to have it done!!

Stephen

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All right, well at least it's not some "only dealer can remove or warranty voided" type of thing :biggrin:

I don't own a Freelander, but I feel confident my D1 wouldn't gain any aerodynamic advantage from an undertray! :biggrin:

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It also protects rocks from flying inside engine compartment while offroading or simply getting on gravel. I have same "skid" altough metal one on me XTerra (got to take it off to replace oil too). Unfortunate drawback is whatever gets in - stays in. I had numerous rocks falling off from when skid getting removed for oil change :)

But 150$ is nuts. If you cant do it yourself - go to Walmart they will replace it for 25$ :) With your choice of oil. Altough you better check out for all nuts been in place and oil caps actually being back in afterwards (and no - i am not kidding - its exactly what it sounds like).

B

bluebird

i just cut out the plastic so that i could remove the filter and drain plug.

N

Neilg

The undertray is there for all the right reasons, it protects the underneath of the engine, gearbox and the reduction drive units when going off road. On my 2001 TD4 Auto, it is metal and held on by 6 x 12mm bolts + 2 x 10mm bolts and 6 posidrive screws. It takes 10 minutes to remove. The fully synthetic oil in the UK is £30 so about 50 to 60 dollars. The filter is not too difficult to change and I would guess about 15 dollars. So anyone charging 150 dollars to do the job is taking you for a ride.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM