Oil level check when cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrTobiasFunke

Reaction score
I changed my oil the other day (5.0L), and added the recommended amount- 8.5 if my memory serves me right, but when I check the oil level, it says over filled. However, no warning lights or check engine light has come on. So I’m guessing it’s the residual oil that didn’t drain and if it’s slightly over, it’s fine to leave and burn off?

Do I really need to buy an oil extractor for this nominal difference? Buddy says it’s completely fine.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC, i get right about 8 quarts out using my extractor. so i refilled with 8 quarts and that put me very close to the max fill mark.

its very possible that you overfilled by about 1/2 quart, assuming your extractor removes the same amount as mine.

DrTobiasFunke

Reaction score
I drained it from the bottom. I have access to a lift.

With no warning lights, is this a huge concern?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtyHal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't tried this but after googling this topic: Open the hood, leave the driver side door open, and then when into the Service Menu, select Oil Level check option and once the oil level screen/graph shows up, press the cancel button twice. This potentially will give you exact reading of the oil level.

I'd typically lean towards not driving it overfilled...

Stephenrayberry

Reaction score
There is a reason why Land Rover doesn't want you to check the oil level immediately after it has been ran... It's the same reason why you shouldn't check the oil in any other car on the road right after shutting it off. Oil circulates through the engine while it is running and the oil reading is taking a guagr of how much oil is in the oil pan or sump. If the vehicle has been running within the last 5 to 10 minutes, there is still oil in the engine and it can show a low reading, because the oil level in the pan (where the sensor is) can be low until the oil in the engine drains back down. If you check the level while the oil is in the engine, see it as low, then add oil, you have a good chance at over filling it, which can create excess pressure and have oil back-up into areas that it shouldn't be in. Just wait until the engine has been shut off the proper amount to check your oil level.
OK - Sorry - the above last posting - (Ill remove it) not correct - Here is what works - after the car has been running

so this technique allows you to check immediately - no need to wait.... You have to have the hood up.

Just Great --- no idea why the video is distorted... you should get the idea though - if its too hard to watch Ill repost.... always something with land rovers...

Last edited:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Service method for checking is for exactly that, during servicing and when adding oil after a drain. All oil will be in sump.

Robbouchard

Reaction score
This is good to know. I did an oil change on my 2012 LR4 today. When i was done I attempted to check oil level, with the hood up, and it read too low to get a reading (or something along those lines)? I tried a couple of times with the same result. I had given the oil 15 mins to settle in the pan so it should have been able to get a reading. I eventually got a reading but only after running the engine up to temperature, shutting down and waiting 15 mins. Really don’t like running the engine before checking the oil level after a fill but couldn’t think what else to do.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have put in at least 7L you will be fine. The engine has an oversized sump.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635