Oil sump prime

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ares

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another update to this thred. I am experiencing the low oil pressure again. It has been acting fine up until it started turning cold. Im going to try a different filter and if that doesnt do it, looks like a new front cover will be my next purchase.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
John, before you go and start throwing things around :)

What oil you running right now? I understand that you have K&N 3001 as filter, and got gunk cleaned up from oil pan. Have you done motor flush?

D

discomike

Any of the local auto part stores sell different oil flush products, most work in 5 or 10 minuetes of idleing in the drive way and are all similiar in price and quality. I use one every third oil change, just for ***** and giggles, and my oil tends to stay cleaner longer.
Good luck,
Mike J.

Ares

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I dropped the pan to replaced the pickup, I ran some engine flush according to the instructions (idle for 5 min and change oil). I dont remember the brand, it was in a can. Drained the oil, dropped the pan, changed the pickup and replaced the oil with 20W50 and used a Mann Oil Filter W930/20 (supposedly LR quality). The start ups were much, much better. It was difficult to listen to the motor over my exhaust leak, but the light went out immediately after start up. I replaced the exhaust manifold and for about 2 weeks, there was no noise or light on startup. Last week it has started to get colder here and I have started to notice the noise again after sitting overnight. I immediately changed the oil with 10W40 and another Mann filter. I have noticed some black globs on the dipstick. Not metal, just old coagulated oil. The drained oil look nice and clean, but the oil from the filter was black. Apparently, that engine flush has broken stuff loose . I just got back from the parts store with a K&N 3001 filter and oil. Thinking of changing it again and rechecking the pickup. Its still much better than before, but noticeable after sitting overnight. Nathan at Discount Rovers has a cover for just under $400. That's a chunk of change for a poor medical student, but cheaper than a rebuild. Any ideas?

D

discomike

John,
You might think about doing a engine flush thru one of the shops. When they hook up there pumps to your engine it pulls it all out.
Just a thought,
Mike J.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
John, it may be getting too cold for running 20w50 if you leaving truck outside and temperatures falling below freezing.

Ares

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike, I'll check around town on that. Sergie, I have already gone to 10W40. Should I go lighter than that? We are expecting a light freeze tonight. I may go buy a case or two of cheap oil (10W40) and some filters and do an oil change every day for the next 3 or 4 days. Maybe that will clear some of that crap out. If this doesnt do it, I guess a front engine cover would be the next step. Its a good possibility the pump may have a bad check valve or worn gears. Any other ideas or suggestions before I tear into her again. Its a good thing I love this truck otherwise it would've been a gonner a long time ago. You should see me scrubbing in for surgery with black fingernails. Talk about scrubbing until raw!

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL.. thats what those brushes are for, that surgeons used in old days.. Actually easiest way to get bloody thing out is to use some heavy duty soap and stick both hands into socks and rub them against each other under very hot water. Takes grime and stuff from under nails right away :)

Anyway, back to matter of oil..

Naah. 10w40 should be more or less ok, light just will be lit up for a tad longer than usual (i.e warm) thats all.

Reason why me and Mike were talking about flushes is this (at least thats my reason. Mike - correct me if i am offkey here) - sometime when you do flush or clearn oil pan, there is lovely gunk that getting inside oil line and sits there untill next flush. It effectively blocks passages for a while, untill oil becomes more hot and flows easier and finally getting past bloody thing.

Easiest check is that after week of driving with new oil - how big color change you got? :) If its getting darkish - your new oil picking up now some of that old crap that been sitting in system. Just do another flush at garage or professional one like Mike suggested and it should be well cleared.

Took me 2 flushes within 3 months to finally get my oil light how i liked it after i done first flush and dropped pan in spring - thats how i know it. And oil is honey colored now after month of pretty nasty driving :)

And i still got to replace those leaky oil lines :)

Ares

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll check around to see if there is anyone in town that does the flush. Wouldnt just changing the oil and filter several times do the trick?

I like the sock trick too. Ill give that a try. Usually, prior to working on the truck I'll put some lotion on my hands. Makes the grime much easier to remove.

Thanks friends for the help

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4