On the LR4 Hunt.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmars

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post with a few questions. I'm an ex FJ80 (OME, Slee, ARB etc).....loved the truck but needed to sell and get something more friendly on gas....enter my stage 2 Audi Avant (6M)....love her but now my wife and I need to replace her car (Volvo XC90).....and the replacement is going to be an LR4.

We went to the dealer with intentions of a RRS but my wife and I both love the cargo area of the LR4...we like boxy cargo areas (hence the Volvo). With all the seat down the LR4 is massive....deal sealer for us.

I went to the dealer with a novice education on the LR4 as I always like the lines b/c it looks like a truck...In speaking to the dealer I learned how hard it is to find a new HD and tow package truck, seems like I hit the market right before a change over...a model change which I can't say I much like what I have seen so far and is why we will not be waiting for the Disco/LR5 (another Explorer looking Rover)

So my questions concern the tow package which is some thing of a must have as I fish like a mad man come fall on a 21ft center console. I'm looking around 5000lbs or so in trailer weight. Dual axle with surge brakes...I've had her balanced and will run her up to 130miles per trip (each way)....those in the NE know about the fall fishing runs and I'm sure know oh epic they are so you also know why I need trailer securely.

In educating myself on the OEM hitch receive it seems to have a rather low tongue weight and that the Rhino (Todd's) build is the way to go. In knowing this should I even look to find a truck with a tow package or just go Rhino? If I didn't go with OEM what is the wiring situation like with these trucks.....I'm not a mechanic but I am decent shade tree mechanic.

I'm rather perplex that my fathers GC can out tow due to a tongue weight restriction but it is what it is. I currently swap cars with him to pull my boat.

Any further thoughts/experience on this would be great

Other Items:
- On the HD package I am also amazed how it will be nearly impossible for me to find a new one now....super bummed about that. I want all the bells and whistles and I would've ordered an HD package truck if they were taking orders but seems like that ship has sailed. I wanted a locking diff, I know the real usage will be small but call me crazy for wanting all I can get.

-ARB I had one on my LC and I want another....zero question. I see on the ARB site that they have one for the LR4 years 2009-2013...did something change that it will not fit on a 2016 or if I end up going preowned on a 2015?

Thank you all for taking the time to read/answer....I love dorking out gear/tech and Rovers seem to take the cake in that regard!

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

jmars

Reaction score
Catman...thanks. I'm in NYC but the boat I keep out in LI...I went to one known dealer out there to start

dc_v01

Reaction score
FWIW, I also tow a 21ft center console w/t-top, ~5000lb dual axle trailer, with no issues using an OEM hitch on a 2012 LR4 (V8). That is no issues both with and without functional surge brakes. I only tow twice a year, however, launch and recover each season, ~50 miles each way.

The trailer electrics would be the same regardless of whether you use the Rhino or OEM hitch recievers. You do not need to look for a LR4 with the Tow Package - that can be a dealer installed option and is available on any LR4 you find.

The original OEM hitch receivers had an extremely low drop, looked out of proportion, and were rated to 550lb tongue weights. Later OEM hitch receivers had a much lower drop, looked to have much better proportions, and were rated to 770 lb tongue weights. The question that bothers some people is if the hardware on the LR4, which the hitch receiver mates to, is rated to something other than the hitch receiver itself. The manual states 550lbs - but that could be in reference to the original receiver. A poster here claims to have contacted Land Rover and heard 800 lbs. My own opinion is that since these hitch receivers are specific to LR - if there was any chance of plugging a 770lb receiver into a vehicle that was not rated to that level, there would be an included disclaimer to cover any liability. In fact, I doubt they would even stamp a higher number on the revised part to prevent such a thing from happening, even if it did have a higher capacity. I would be comfortable with 770lbs. YMMV.

I have seen pictures a failed hitch receiver that was clearly loaded beyond both tongue weight and trailer weight capacities. Not a surprise. There was also a posting here about a website with many people complaining about failed hitches - but these appeared to almost all be in Europe, which uses a completely different style of hitch (the tow ball is integrated into the plug in portion - if you see these in Europe, you will wonder how they tow anything at all, look inherently weak). It is really unclear if people maintain the mating mechanism in these hitches/hitch receivers or install them properly.

Your boat should have a 500lb tongue weight or less - you can probably tow a boat trailer up near 7700lbs and keep the tongue weight below 550 by proper adjustment of boat position on the trailer. Boat trailer can have tongue weights around 7%, sometimes less.

I would use the OEM hitch and be done with it. Clean install, no questions from the dealer.

If you really want to go by the book you should never tow over 60 mph on most vehicles, including the LR4. Doesn't seem to stop anyone. There should also be a healthy safety margin on most tow ratings.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure where you are, but LR is still producing LR4's in all configuations, so chances are good you can find what you want if you are not in a dire rush.

Land Rover stopped producing the LR4 months ago.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover stopped producing the LR4 months ago.

I heard the same thing as they are now retooling the LR4 production line to produce the new Discovery. New Discovery will finally be revealed in October at the Paris Motor Show.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not "in the know", but I thought that LR only stopped taking custom orders a few months ago, not actual production.

If they did end production, there is still a steady stream of LR4's coming into the US as the inventory has been increasing over the last month, not decreasing. Previously LR seemed to be keeping about 1800 LR4's on the showroom floors, now they are up to 2093 +/- as of now.

I would think the last LR4 coming off the line would mark some sort of ceremony or article being published as well - maybe not as big a deal as the end of the Defender production, but newsworthy nonetheless!

Last edited:

Crazedtexn

Reaction score
I am not "in the know", but I thought that LR only stopped taking custom orders a few months ago, not actual production.

If they did end production, there is still a steady stream of LR4's coming into the US as the inventory has been increasing over the last month, not decreasing. Previously LR seemed to be keeping about 1800 LR4's on the showroom floors, now they are up to 2093 +/- as of now.

I would think the last LR4 coming off the line would mark some sort of ceremony or article being published as well - maybe not as big a deal as the end of the Defender production, but newsworth nonetheless!

Where did you get the inventory level from? Just curious.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing fancy or insider, but virtually every new car is listed on online these days. If you remove "within X miles of zip code xxxxx" factor, you can see every LR4 in the country from places like cars.com or autotrader.com. I am sure there are a few that are not listed, but as a general pulse on inventory it works! The number goes up and down throughout the day as cars are sold and new cars coming in are added.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM