out of my 05 and into an 07, what do you think

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might have an opportunity to get out of my 05 and into an 07

My 05 LR3 31000
07 LR3 37000 NOTE this car was used by the dealer as a loaner, CONCERNING TO ME.
Both in about the same condition the best I can tell.

My question,
1) Since the 07 is a loaner do you all have any idea what it might be worth, I have to believe it has to be less since it is a loaner?
2) Would you make the change?

I just need a little advice…

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gmoney....you asked for advice, so here it comes:

Get into the '07 if you're going to take it off-road. Your tolerance for the little issues will go way up as will your satisfaction.

Hollywood619

Reaction score
Going to an 07 vice an 05 will relieve a lot of small quality issue headaches. Also, it isn't like the vehicle is registered as a "loaner". It has simply acquired miles while registered to the dealership. I drove from Spain to Germany for a demo vehicle and have since put 15000 trail and road miles on it with only 2 problems, a malfunctioning parking sensor and a loony tire pressure sensor.

gmoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gmoney....you asked for advice, so here it comes:

Get into the '07 if you're going to take it off-road. Your tolerance for the little issues will go way up as will your satisfaction.

Would it bother you that this car was used as a loaner…you know how some people abuse a loaner, but on the other hand you would assume most of the people in this would not abuse.

After driving it for a few days it just seems to ride better, shift better, does not seem as high as my 05 etc.
Ascetically it will need a little detailing, maybe a lot…

So your feeling is get to the 07

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest looking for a lower mileage '07 from a private seller. More miles under warranty, better deal from private than you'd ever get from a dealer - plus no worries about abuse.
Actually I'd really suggest keeping what you have, but it sounds like you really don't want to do that.

gmoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, why would you say keep what you have…I thought an 07 would be more reliable than an 05…
I will say my 05 astatically is much better than the 07, my main concern is out of warranty major issues, i.e.; transmissions, suspension issues etc, that is my main concern…

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen you on here with problems from time to time, I'm just guessing you've fixed most of the problems you've encountered. My guess is the first time you had a problem with the '07, you'd be upset that you spent extra money to have a problem free car and start having regrets about it. Generally I think once the handful of problems are addressed with the '05s they are good to go. Mine has not seen the shop for 1.5 years and about 21k miles now.
The only way I'd get the '07 is if you are unable to get an extended warranty for the '05. I will never drive any land rover out of warranty again. I have more confidence in this model than past ones, but for $2500, it's nice to have some peace of mind.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with roverman. My '05 has been pretty darn good in the last 2 years. I've addressed most of the same ol' problems you've heard of on this board but now it's settled down. I do need to get the EPB actuator re-calibrated and I need to get the bushings inspected and possibly replaced...but I too have an extended warranty and I'd suggest that for you.

Here is the thing, gmoney, and this is why I made the comment above: I take the LR3 out wheelin' at least 6 -10 times a year and I fall IN LOVE with it more and more each time. The damn thing is so freakin' capable and nice that these little things just become the "cost of admission" to me and I don't fret over it. The enjoyment of doing the crazy stuff in it far outweighs the strife of having to take it in. Everything in this life costs time and money....just remember that. So the more fun you have with this toy, the more worth (the time and money) it will feel.

That said, I would indeed worry about buying a loaner, just like I would not want to own a rental car.

Patriot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my 2007 HSE since August 2007, and now have over 36,000 miles on it. It has been absolutely perfect, with not even as much as a squeak or rattle.

I had the brakes done at about 30k miles, and will need a new set of tires soon, and the obligatory alignment. But those are like putting gas in a car - unavoidable by their very nature.

Let 'er rip amigo.

Patriot

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't think of an "05" as all the 05's are the same. The first early production run with "e" in the VIN are the early one's that had some amount of teething pains. Even those should be settled by now. I would not trade an 05 for an 07 as it is 99% the exact same thing. You really want to pay more depreciation again for the same thing?

Why not wait for the redesigned 2010? This will be a significant redesign (interior mostly) that is likely worth it sucking up the depreciation. There are also some great upgrades related to towing, and other things.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4