Outer tie rod and alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NEPAROVER

Reaction score
I am about to have the outer tie rod end replaced on the front wheel on the driver's side. I was told that afterwards I would need an alignment. I have read numerous articles from various forums about centering the steering wheel as well as doing an alignment oneself. I will be having other work done that will require an alignment. There will be roughly 30 days between and have no choice but to drive the vehicle after the outer tie rod end replacement until the other work is done.

What would I be able to do after the outer tie rod end replacement that would allow me to drive it until the other work is done after which I would have a proper alignment done. I simply do not want to pay for two alignments. It is a 00 Disco II with ACE.

(The other work I am having done will be a new ps pump, steering gear box, all new steering components (other than actual steering column linkage etc etc) I will be adding new bushings and a 2 inch suspension lift.)

The outer tie rod end is pretty bad and I do not have a choice but to drive it to work but can not afford to replace it and the alignment as this just happened.

I want everything new for steering so I can take the old parts and tear them down to see how they work and to rebuild them and have as spares.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are talking about the tie rod on the long side, which is considered all one piece, you must replace the whole thing and if you want to save a lot of money, replace it yourself and you won't need to do an alignment. Shout if you have any questions.

NEPAROVER

Reaction score
I am referring to the tie rod end, the piece at the end of the tie rod that screws out on each end. The part runs about 30-50 dollars depending on where you buy it from.

This is the part I am referring to: http://www.dweltd.com/photos/QHA.QR2230S.jpg

Would I simply be able to mark on the old one before it is pulled and then mark the new one so it is screwed in to the same depth, basically making it identical to the old one thus eliminating the need right away for an alignment? My apologies for the late reply, my duties at work have kept me from spending much time on the internet as of late.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The drivers end is part of the tube and can not be replace, you must buy, what is referred to as the long tube side that has the end permanently connected, the passenger side can be replace by it self.

NEPAROVER

Reaction score
Having it up on the rack it was checked and it can be replaced separately, at least on mine. It screws in to the end, so on mine it is 2 pieces, the 1 outer drivers side and the long rod connecting them with the attached one on the passenger side. On every exploded diagram I've looked at it shows it as replaceable as well. Please do not take it is I am questioning your experience but my dII seems to be set up differently than that.

This is the part from rovers north and they show it in their exploded diagram as replaceable with the passenger side being part of the rod itself. http://landroverparts.roversnorth.c...INT---TRACK-&-DRAG-P38A-&-DISCOVERY-II&key=it

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9