Overlander Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Indigoblue

Reaction score
Hi all! I was advised by my overlanding group to seek some advice here. I'm currently a jeep owner and have spent 9 months on the road last summer overlanding, camping.
The jeep is no more. I'm searching for a new vehicle for long haul trips and light off road. I was at a land rover dealer and drove a disco 5. It was fabulous. However, colleagues tell me to spend more money and go the 4runner route due to prob driving 10k miles this summer trip.

I loved the disco 5 and also saw an older 2015 lr4 which would be perfect for roofracks and lifted suspension. The exterior space is far superior to any Toyota. I'm not a mechanic but handy. At the price point the disco fits the budget even with all the extras I want to smack on it.
However, I sorta don't want to be consistently stuck on the side of the road. I have read extensively here on this forum before posting. There is the question of buying a 2019 disco 5 with low miles or a lr4 high miles and spend the extra cash fixing the well known. Timing, crossover as well as control arms and so on. Or I can spend massive money and go the 4 runner route that drives like complete ****.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any vehicle is prone to breaking down from any possible fault. It feels like a disproportionate amount of LR4s have issues but that's likely only because people come online with issues to find fixes or complain rather than come to celebrate the vehicle. I bought mine used 5 years ago and haven't even hit 75k miles on mine yet but it has been my absolute favorite vehicle. Mine is a 2013 which had some known issues but I followed through on correcting them via scheduled maintenance with a 3rd party mechanic. As the model line progressed most of the big issues were stamped out. If you stay on top of maintenance you'll likely be fine. I'd take this toe to toe with any 4 runner.

Indigoblue

Reaction score
Any vehicle is prone to breaking down from any possible fault. It feels like a disproportionate amount of LR4s have issues but that's likely only because people come online with issues to find fixes or complain rather than come to celebrate the vehicle. I bought mine used 5 years ago and haven't even hit 75k miles on mine yet but it has been my absolute favorite vehicle. Mine is a 2013 which had some known issues but I followed through on correcting them via scheduled maintenance with a 3rd party mechanic. As the model line progressed most of the big issues were stamped out. If you stay on top of maintenance you'll likely be fine. I'd take this toe to toe with any 4 runner.
Thanks for this. My friend is a land rover mechanic and mentioned cross over pipes, timing chain, changing diff fluids and control arms. Not sure if that is DIY but if the disco 5 has progressed in some of these instances it may be OK.

It's almost like do you buy a disco 5 or a 90k mile lr4 cheap with service records to prove repairs have been addressed. If I budget the 4runner route I basically spend 11k more for a truck 8 years older with 150k miles. But then again it's a Toyota they say. I hate the way they drive but it is inflated in the market. Just need something that can handle cross country trips.

M32H32IS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the 4 Runner

Land Rovers are complete piles of poo. Stuff constantly breaks. And they aren’t that much better than 4 runners to begin with + you’ll end up spending as much in repair costs.

Plus, you’ll spend every other weekend fixing something.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this. My friend is a land rover mechanic and mentioned cross over pipes, timing chain, changing diff fluids and control arms. Not sure if that is DIY but if the disco 5 has progressed in some of these instances it may be OK.

It's almost like do you buy a disco 5 or a 90k mile lr4 cheap with service records to prove repairs have been addressed. If I budget the 4runner route I basically spend 11k more for a truck 8 years older with 150k miles. But then again it's a Toyota they say. I hate the way they drive but it is inflated in the market. Just need something that can handle cross country trips.

Keep in mind a 2019 D5 is going to have the same motor as a 2015 LR4. So same concerns with coolant tubes and, although the post-2013 5.0/3.0 have updated timing guides, they're still prone to timing chain issues if the excessively long factory oil change intervals are followed.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a 5th gen 4Runner Trail prior to my LR. I say this is all seriousness. I will do whatever I can to avoid another 4Runner. Or at least 5th Gens. Yes their V6 is reliable. But it’s anemic. Then you see those Yota clowns throw another 1,500 pounds of overlander armor on it. Plus bigger wheels. No thanks. The thing is barely adequate to power the truck stock. I love my V8, air suspension, character etc.

Disco 5s can be nice too. I just hate the shape. Check out a full fat L322 Range Rover also. They ended in 2012 with the same 5.0. And they can be found with the same HD pack with rear locker.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you sleep in your car while overlanding (or on top with a roof top tent) the ability to level it so you sleep flat using something like the XLifter is awesome. I always had a disdain for SUVs, but I love our LR4. It's just spendy to do the maintenance, especially if you buy used and don't know what's been done and do a bunch at once. We got our 2012 in 2017, and it's been trouble free over 30k miles in that time (primarily on-road, but I've started dabbling in taking it off road).

Indigoblue

Reaction score
If you sleep in your car while overlanding (or on top with a roof top tent) the ability to level it so you sleep flat using something like the XLifter is awesome. I always had a disdain for SUVs, but I love our LR4. It's just spendy to do the maintenance, especially if you buy used and don't know what's been done and do a bunch at once. We got our 2012 in 2017, and it's been trouble free over 30k miles in that time (primarily on-road, but I've started dabbling in taking it off road).
Compared to every other SUV it's probably the best sleeping inside you will get. It's very utilitarian and a dream to drive off road I assume. I'm still giving this some thought. Many in my Overland group use old defenders. I love the lr4 but scared to death to take it all the way to Central America on a long off road trip. Not sure how easy or DIY they are to work on. If you can replace your own timing chain and all the other need repairs like control arms and so on I'd still consider it. Guess you have to really fix thr problem areas. The parts are reasonable but it's the mechanic labor that gets you. Maybe this is why I will be pushed the toyota route unfortunately

Indigoblue

Reaction score
Keep in mind a 2019 D5 is going to have the same motor as a 2015 LR4. So same concerns with coolant tubes and, although the post-2013 5.0/3.0 have updated timing guides, they're still prone to timing chain issues if the excessively long factory oil change intervals are followed.
Had no idea. Thought it all was different. So no benefit I assume

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi