Passenger valve cover leak. Where?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been chasing down an oil leak. In the process of swapping diff/transfer fluids I noticed there was clean oil on the new alternator (Nov 2022). Old alternator was dry. In between Nov and now I also performed an oil change where I noticed for the first time that the filter oring had become brittle and twas leaking from the cartridge cover itself. I had some oil on the interior valley below etc. Cleaned all that up and it is still dry. Oily alternator rules our vacuum pump seal (pump is lower) so it is dripping from above the alternator. Here is the rub: I spent a lot of time looking for a leak around the valve cover and didn't see much.

The oil could be from the filter housing leak before but the oil looked new and clean so that has me concerned it is still leaking. Those of you with valve cover leaks., where did they actually fail?

Cthehentz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had both valve covers replaced, the passenger side was leaking above the alternator and back lower corner. The rear drips leaked onto the LCA and the skid plate.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK sounds good. Lets see if the high mileage oil swells the seals enough to stop the madness. Seems really weird that the old alternator was dry and then bam! oil on the new one less than 1k kms later. The oil on the alternator was golden though so new.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK sounds good. Lets see if the high mileage oil swells the seals enough to stop the madness. Seems really weird that the old alternator was dry and then bam! oil on the new one less than 1k kms later. The oil on the alternator was golden though so new.
Might want to check the oil filter housing gasket as well. It's a cheap part, but you can try tightening the bolts inside the housing to mate it better to the block.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the rig up on ramps, removed the plastic cover under the alternator and had a leisurely inspection. No fresh oil, just residual stuff from before. The alternator was not oil covered )good). No leak from valve cover seam or vacuum pump. Will monitor but I think it all stemmed from that failed oil filter cover oring (the big one that comes with your oil filter).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV