Preemptive 80K mile service...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suspect that this Y-pipe issue is occurring in areas where it is hot year round. I asked my LR dealer here in Boston about replacing the Y-pipe and he said they have not seen a single failure...yet. And many LR4s are now over 100K miles with the original Y-pipe.

I'm in Boston too. Good to know. Maybe I will wait until 50k/8years then. My car is garaged and not always used daily either.

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suspect that this Y-pipe issue is occurring in areas where it is hot year round. I asked my LR dealer here in Boston about replacing the Y-pipe and he said they have not seen a single failure...yet. And many LR4s are now over 100K miles with the original Y-pipe.

Maybe, but mine did about 78k in the brutal heat of the Gulf Coast (before being retired to Colorado) and never had that issue. One data point at least.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why in the world wld you take the risk??? not like its a big job. cheap insurance is worth peace of mind

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck, I didn't even know about about a 'Y-pipe' issue until I started following this thread. For all the talk about issues with Land Rover, I'm happy to say that the LR4 has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. It makes a man a little complacent I guess.

HuskerBred

Reaction score
Heck, I didn't even know about about a 'Y-pipe' issue until I started following this thread. For all the talk about issues with Land Rover, I'm happy to say that the LR4 has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. It makes a man a little complacent I guess.
Yeah, sometimes I wish I never found this forum. Now every time I drive my car I'm listening and watching for something to go wrong!! Although I did have to replace the water pump and both tubes a month after I bought it......

Bogwhoppit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually have a slow coolant leak. I replaced my water pump (leaking from the pulley shaft) months ago, and now I think I'm regretting not spending another $86 on the y pipe. On another note you can pull off an oil change for $94 via amazon.

to8nbeyond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Add me to the crossover pipe failure. I was on the way out of town and noticed a coolant smell. Decided to be safer than sorry and this thread was in the back of my mind. Sure enough coolant had pooled on top of the engine. New pipe and water pump along with all associated hoses and I’m good to go. I just hit 80k too.

bri_LR4

Reaction score
I just bought 2013 LR4 HSE last month, its at 80k miles now. It has been in the shop pretty much since I got it. The check engine light came on "reduced engine performance" warning, coolant smell. The shop I took it to kept doing work and saying it was fixed and 24-48hrs after I get it back...same thing. Slow coolant leak, I have to put some in every day. Finally I took it to Land Rover shop and they replaced O2 sensor and say they THINK its a blown head gasket. No one has ever mentioned a y pipe.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought 2013 LR4 HSE last month, its at 80k miles now. It has been in the shop pretty much since I got it. The check engine light came on "reduced engine performance" warning, coolant smell. The shop I took it to kept doing work and saying it was fixed and 24-48hrs after I get it back...same thing. Slow coolant leak, I have to put some in every day. Finally I took it to Land Rover shop and they replaced O2 sensor and say they THINK its a blown head gasket. No one has ever mentioned a y pipe.
ouch - thats a terrible way to begin life with an LR4. keep us posted but hopefully the dealer is wrong.

bri_LR4

Reaction score
Thanks, I will give you an update. There is a lot more to the story...but good news is the shop that did the first $5k in "repairs" is picking it up and taking it back to their shop (6 hours away from my house) and fixing the head gasket no charge, if that's really what is wrong. I am glad I fond this forum today. I was feeling really down about my decision to go with an LR4...I am feeling better now reading everyone's posts.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72