Preemptive 80K mile service...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if an 07 and 011 HSE have the same Y pipe issue?

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An 07 LR3 has a different engine.

Last edited:

Keanan

Reaction score
Anyone know if an 07 and 011 HSE have the same Y pipe issue?

The LR3 has a different engine than and LR4. It still has a plastic crossover pipe that should be replaced. The plastic degrades and will fail/leak in the 75-100k mile range.

For the OP, regarding LR4’s, do the Front Y pipe and while you are at it do the rear pipe. It is the heater valve pipe. It’s awkward to get to but it isn’t necessarily hard to do. I Have part numbers I’ll try to post them up later this week.

Replace thermostat/water pump/lower radiator hose and other associated plastic cooling lines. This is more of preventative cooling maintenance than a 75k service.

For 75k do what the manual says, visually inspect stuff, replace fluids & filters, rotate tires and test drive it.

As you may already know, go with genuine parts. There are some online suppliers that have pretty good rates. The britpart piece for 1/4 the price is tempting but don’t risk it.

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to see this thread. I am at ~ 80k miles (2012) and want to get ahead of things. She has been incredibly solid to date and a real pleasure to drive. It's the kind of vehicle that I am happy to invest in for another 80k miles...

So far I see:

- Change fluid in transfer case
- Change fluid in differentials
- Change transmission fluid & filter using Atlantic British kit
- New ball joints, new sway bar bushings and lower control arm bushings
- New Y-pipe

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to see this thread. I am at ~ 80k miles (2012) and want to get ahead of things. She has been incredibly solid to date and a real pleasure to drive. It's the kind of vehicle that I am happy to invest in for another 80k miles...

So far I see:

- Change fluid in transfer case
- Change fluid in differentials
- Change transmission fluid & filter using Atlantic British kit
- New ball joints, new sway bar bushings and lower control arm bushings
- New Y-pipe

Just FYI, replacing the whole lower control arm will knock out both the ball joints and lower control arm bushings. When the bushings go out, Land Rover dealers will replace the whole control arm by default, and most independent mechanics will want to go that route as well, as it's a lot less time consuming than trying to remove the old control arm bushings from the old control arms. The savings in labor covers a lot of the price difference in parts.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm doing the new ball joints when they go. The rest of the work will be done tomorrow and i look forward to the next 80k miles!

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And the work is done. I went with akebono pads and rotors.
2584fa9903dfbfaae5251be9e88e9f9c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Austin G

Reaction score
Yet another LR4 (2012 in this case) that had a failed Y pipe at 78K miles. Can also attest to the failed lower control arm bushings (they went at 70K) and dealer replaced the arms as described earlier in thread.

They gave me a 2018 Discovery Sport, fully loaded, as a loaner. Barf. Couldn't wait to get back into my "old" Rover!

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had always considered replacing this Y-pipe at 50k miles (which is probably about 8 years for me). Now I'm wondering if I should replace it sooner still, like at 6 years (Fall of next year).

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suspect that this Y-pipe issue is occurring in areas where it is hot year round. I asked my LR dealer here in Boston about replacing the Y-pipe and he said they have not seen a single failure...yet. And many LR4s are now over 100K miles with the original Y-pipe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV