Problems that wont go away

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR_TANK

Reaction score
Hi

I have been having problems with my 96 Disco. Two weeks ago I started noticed that there was a strong smell of fue right after i filled up. i thought it was normal because i just had filled up my tank. so last week filled my car again and then i went to wallmart (damn cheap prices :evil:) and when i went back to my car i found a note and it was from the person that was parked next to me and said that there was a strong smell of gas coming from my car. so i looked under my car and there was a big puddle of gas in the ground so idk if its the gas tank that is rupture or its probably something else. the strange thing is that the fuel seems to come from the top of the tank and it only happens when the tank is full. this is the replacement fuel tank that the dealership installed after the recall.

the other problem that i have is that my anti-lock light stays on. i know this is a common problem with rovers, back in december i had a problem with my master cylinder and booster pump so i replace them and since them i have had the light on any suggestion to what it could cause the light to stay on, i alrdy replace pad cus i needed them and machined the rotors. any suggestion will be useful thanks.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
abs light on a D1 is probably a sensor.

fuel issue could be the fuel ring around the fuel pump, the odds are the didn't replace the old with a new one.

LR_TANK

Reaction score
Thanks joey, another things that i forgot to mention was that i found a vacumm line (if i remmeber correctly its from the booster pump) disconnected i stumble into while i was doing a routine check, the line leads to this selenoid that is located right under the OEM jack in the engine compartment. also i replace the abs light relay cus i thought that what causing the light to come on beacuse when i change the booster pump after the installation the brake's pedal light swtich got stuck so my light were on at all times but i reseted and they work fine.

about the ring of the pump how long will it take to repalce it cus i was thinking about bringing the fuel tank down this weekend

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
You do not have to drop the tank, there is an access panel in the trunk area.. under the carpet. About and hour or so..

Vacuum line that you speak of is for the cruise control.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks joey, another things that i forgot to mention was that i found a vacumm line (if i remmeber correctly its from the booster pump) disconnected i stumble into while i was doing a routine check, the line leads to this selenoid that is located right under the OEM jack in the engine compartment. also i replace the abs light relay cus i thought that what causing the light to come on beacuse when i change the booster pump after the installation the brake's pedal light swtich got stuck so my light were on at all times but i reseted and they work fine.

about the ring of the pump how long will it take to repalce it cus i was thinking about bringing the fuel tank down this weekend
Lift the back (cargo-area) carpet and insulation (you will probably have to undo the trim-pieces holding the carpet - right at the back of your Disco) and you will see the access port for the fuel pump. What a great idea (anyone who has ever had to drop a tank knows that getting all the fuel out can be 'trying' to say the least) makes changing a fuel pump a comparative dream.

I think Joey is right on target - it does indeed sound like a fuel-pump O-ring.

96mh

Reaction score
A hole in my exhaust pipe (tailpipe) caused the leak in the top of my fuel tank so check the upside of your tailpipe near the tank, when cold!!

LR_TANK

Reaction score
Alright thanks guys i havent had a chance to do check the car because i just finish school but im defenetly doing it this weekend

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are not going to like this one (and I do not think this is your issue but just in case) - there are a lot of (and increasing rapidly) criminal cases of gas tank drilling going on now by gas thieves; - its very simple - no fuss and very little muss (for them) - i.e., they whip under your tank, drill up with a cordless drill, gas starts pouring out into their container - they get what they want or have time for and Bob's your Uncle they are gone; leaving you with a leaking tank at best and at worst - an exploson!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635